Bathroom Fan Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

bathroom fan help

hi guy's

please could someone help, we have a onsuite and there is only one switch, and this turns on the light and the fan, i want to change this to have two switch's so we can either turn on fan or light, its a bloody pain getting up in the night wanting to just put the light on, and have the dam noisy fan come on

can this be done simple, i have got the box and switch

thank you

Advertisement

paul1969f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

bathroom fan help

Chances are that it won't be easy. You will have to open your switch and see what you have for wires. If the fan and light both come back to the switch then it is easy, if not you would have to get a new wire to the fan.

Take a look inside your switch and let us know what you have for wires.

Advertisement

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

bathroom fan help

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Chances are that it won't be easy. You will have to open your switch and see what you have for wires. If the fan and light both come back to the switch then it is easy, if not you would have to get a new wire to the fan.

Take a look inside your switch and let us know what you have for wires.
x2

In most cases the installer takes the easiest route... here that would mean running a wire from the switch to the light, and then attaching the fan to the light. Turn on the light you turn on the fan too, but the fan is wired to the light, not the switch.

What you're looking for is for the fan to be wired to the switch instead of the light. The only scenario's I've come across they would do that (since it's more work, time, and materials) is when the homeowner specifically asks/pays for it just on the whim they may want them separate later. The other scenario, is when they're seperate to begin with but the kids keep forgetting to turn on the fan when they take their showers. Parents get sick of reminding their kids so change them to be controlled by the same switch. It can easily be put back to seperate switches that the case.

It's pretty rare unfortunately for the above conditions, and likely you need to run a wire from the switch box to the box controlling the light to do this. Like Darren said though, we need to know what's behind the current switch you may be lucky.

Last edited by Piedmont; 10-26-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #4

bathroom fan help

i will take a look later and get back to you all thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom fan help

Why not replace the fan with an upgraded model that makes less noise? I have a small condo, and the builder installed upgraded fans with a timer system to allow them to run on for hours at a time. The purpose is to allow air circulation in our little rectangle apartment, as we do not have cross ventilation as one does in a house. The fan is quiet, and allows for a white noise effect as it is on near constantly.
mtpleasantowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

bathroom fan help

thats a good idea, i might do that, i will weigh up the cost's

Advertisement