Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I plan on installing an exhaust fan in my bathroom. The qustion I have is this; Can I tap the electical that is in place for a light that is already in the ceiling? That way the switch for the light will turn on the light and the fan at the same time. Or do I need to run fresh electric to an independent switch? Thanks in advance

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I plan on installing an exhaust fan in my bathroom. The qustion I have is this; Can I tap the electical that is in place for a light that is already in the ceiling?
Yes, you can.

Quote:
That way the switch for the light will turn on the light and the fan at the same time. Or do I need to run fresh electric to an independent switch? Thanks in advance
No seperate switch required by the NEC, although you might want one.

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #3

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Panasonic makes awesome exhaust fans! Seriously, it's amazing when you have the right appliance for the job. We got an 80cfm unit with very low noise, and you can do whatever you want in there, like s, and when you open the door nobody will have any idea! Sometimes we don't even know it's on (we have seperate switches for light and fan).

I wasn't sure we should spend the money, but my wife is glad we did. Truly, it's the only fan I've found that works 100%. My buddy has it too and he likes it.
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
World famous jerk.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpuppy View Post
Panasonic makes awesome exhaust fans! Seriously, it's amazing when you have the right appliance for the job. We got an 80cfm unit with very low noise, and you can do whatever you want in there, like s, and when you open the door nobody will have any idea! .
A CFM is a CFM.... it matters little what brand is on the fan. Your post is a little like saying "I like Stanley tape measures because they have the best inches". I will say that Panasonic does make some quiet fans, though. In fairness, all the other brands have a quiet line of fans as well. It just depends on how much you want to pay, and how little or how much the sound of a bath fan bothers you.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I'll second the Panasonic suggestion. My customer's love them.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #6

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
A CFM is a CFM.... it matters little what brand is on the fan. Your post is a little like saying "I like Stanley tape measures because they have the best inches". ...
True, numbers is numbers but there's also lies, damn lies, and statistics. Most bathrooms I've been to have fans that are worse than useless.

I dunno why there are so many crappy bathroom fans out there. How many times have you been at a party and had to go, and said, "No way... I'll just embarrass myself." Not very often, but if it happens, it's a drag. ...No embarrassment at our house!

The bottom line is this: Get a good, quiet fan. Unlike many other things in this world, the money spent on a good fan is money well spent. We have been very surprised with our fan. It works, it works really well, it's quiet, and it's a Panasonic. I'm sold, and that ain't so easy.

Others are free to talk about their brands... I can only vouch for the one, as a satisfied customer.
Hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
World famous jerk.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpuppy View Post
I dunno why there are so many crappy bathroom fans out there. .
Many of the "crappy" fans are sorely undersized, and that's pretty much the root cause of their crappiness. Bath exhaust fans are available in many sizes (by CFM), with the 50 CFM being the typical size for the "crappy" fans. I think a 50 CFM will ventillate a dog house, and not much else.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
I plan on installing an exhaust fan in my bathroom. The qustion I have is this; Can I tap the electical that is in place for a light that is already in the ceiling? That way the switch for the light will turn on the light and the fan at the same time. Or do I need to run fresh electric to an independent switch? Thanks in advance
I would put it on a separate switch for convenience, although you can tap the existing feed for your power supply. One of my personal peeves is having to listen unnecessarily to a noisy exhaust fan just because I turn the light on. If you want them on together, at least buy a quality fan that is quiet. You can't expect much ,either for performance or quietness from the typical $20 product. Most brands have quiet rated models. For ultimate stealth look at a remote mounted "Fantech".
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #9

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Thanks for the help everyone. I got it installed on Saturday with no problems. My back is killing me from being crammed in the attic the whole time but the fan works great. I did tap the electrical from the light. We have two light sources in the bathroom, so you can turn the lights above the vanity on instead of the light that has the fan running off of it. It works extremely well. We used to get a lot of condensation on the walls from the steam but no more. And it's loud enough so you can do your personal business and not have to worry people downstairs are listening to your symphony
shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #10

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

We replaced our 80 cfm bath fan with the Panasonic 80 cfm...what a difference in both sound and quality of construction, as different as night and day. Glad we made the change.

caseywa is offline   Reply With Quote