Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I'm remodeling an original bathroom from a 1928 house. All the wiring in the bathroom is the original BX wiring where the ground runs through the metal sheathing. There is no attic access for this bathroom but I can access the joist bays from an adjacent attic section.

There is one receptacle in the bathroom (which will soon be a GFCI). The two ceiling fixtures in the bathroom are downstream from the receptacle.

I hope to move one of the ceiling fixtures, leave one ceiling fixture in the same location, and add one additional ceiling fixture. The ceiling fixture I hope to move is a rat's nest. It has four cables coming into the box all spliced with tape: one supply immediately downstream from the receptacle, one going to the other ceiling fixture, one for the switch, and one going to an adjacent bedroom. The wiring going to the adjacent bedroom is tight, making it impossible to move the box (without ripping up a great deal more plaster, etc.).

As a solution, I've considered installing an exhaust fan where the original fixture was located and using the fan's junction box as a junction box for the cable to the adjacent bedroom. But all the fans I'm looking at seem like it would essentially be the same thing as burying the junction box:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-FV-1...9147031&sr=1-2

Once the fan is installed, there would be no access to the junction box.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ArmColor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

First, the AC cable you have sounds like it is too old to have the bond strip that would serve as a ground. Ungrounded circuits should not be extended.

The fan junction box is barely big enough for the connections to the fan. I would not attempt to make any other connections in it.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The fan junction box is barely big enough for the connections to the fan. I would not attempt to make any other connections in it.
Are there fan models with larger boxes that could serve this purpose? Thanks again.
ArmColor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

None that I have ever found.