Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Bathroom 20A Dedicated Question...

We are converting our 3rd floor to habitable space. The builder put all the electrical in (as if it were 1 big room) but we are adding a bathroom and I am aware that the bathroom must be supplied its own, dedicated 20A circuit with GFCI. It so happens that the 3rd floor has (3) circuits for receptacles.

1 of those 3 circuits is a 20A line that is connected to 3 receptacles which can either be moved to another circuit OR removed entirely because they are where the future bath will be. (Each circuit will have no more than 6 receptacles). This will give me a dedicated circuit for the bathroom GFCI.

My question is, the wire coming from the breaker box for that circuit is connected to a receptacle about 3 ft down the room. Once I move the receptacle onto the other circuit, the length of my wire is not long enough to get to the bathroom.

My plan is to put an accessible junction box inside a closet so I can branch off a new wire so the length can reach the bathroom.

I would assume this is fine, but I wanted to check with you guys first!

bparise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, as long as the junction box is accessible that is all that is required
It would be best if it's easily seen, IE not blocked by clothes etc - but not required

You could make the junction in the existing box
If the box is large enough for the number of wires

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,004

Are the walls up yet? You said "Converting". If the walls are open just re-route a cable from the panel to the bath. Or go over the top. Like Dave said, the accessible box in the closet is fine. I don't like boxes is areas like closets. Should anyone have to troubleshoot, they may become very pissed off when they find that box behind a stack of clothes.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Are the walls up yet? You said "Converting". If the walls are open just re-route a cable from the panel to the bath. Or go over the top. Like Dave said, the accessible box in the closet is fine. I don't like boxes is areas like closets. Should anyone have to troubleshoot, they may become very pissed off when they find that box behind a stack of clothes.
The walls on the 3rd floor are not up yet, but the rest of the house is finished. Our builder gave us the (expensive) option 2 years ago to have them finish it but I held off because I wanted to do it myself.

So, re-routing another cable from the panel, up 2 floors would be a pain. I'm thinking to junction the wires into a box with a receptacle. The one that can be done is the last receptacle on another circuit so it could have the room for the extra wires.

But, that too, can be very hard to troubleshoot, no?! If its such a big deal or I can't fit the wires in that receptacle, I can have the junction box with a solid faceplate on the wall of the closet (facing the room) so it's more obvious.

In any case, I'm placing a wiring diagram in the breaker box of exactly how the 3rd floor is wired, so if any issues come up that would prove to be an invaluable resource.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

As J.V. asked: What are your options for going "over the top"?, depending on access to an attic type space. Is there anywhere on this particular circuit, you could run the wire up through a planned wall so you could make the new junction box be in the attic area? Then you could do your tie-in there and run a new wire into your new bath area going down into the wall of the bath to your receptacle. Even if there is no reasonable attic or access space above the third floor, it could be done now as your new walls are not up yet. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #6

This 3rd floor can be considered a "FROG" -- looks like a half stop sign (wall height 5' on sides, 8' center). There is about 6' of storage on the NORTH and SOUTH sides of this sketch. So, I do have room in the ceiling, but it's not accessible (since drywall will be covering).

The first pic is the CURRENT wiring. You will see the 3 circuits coming up from the floor. I have the receptical icon for those, but my editor didn't have any special icons for this.

One thing, Circuit C goes to a receptacle that is facing INTO storage (marked with a 1 on current). There was supposed to be a second HVAC unit put there (also a 220 line next to it), but we were able to add a 3rd zone to our existing system (tonnage was enough) so I assume I don't need that outlet anymore.

The second drawing is my new wiring.

Hope this helps...

Also, do I need another receptacle on the OTHER side of the GFCI facing the room? There is an outlet within 6 feet (next to the door) there, not sure if they are really crazy about the "outlet on any wall over 2ft"
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom 20A Dedicated Question...-current.jpg   Bathroom 20A Dedicated Question...-new.jpg