Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Bath Fan Wiring into Existing Bath Light? DIY?...

I am not really sure where else to post this question I have. So here is my situation.... I just moved into a 1 bedroom with my girlfriend and the bedroom has a small 3 fixture bath. The bath has an exterior wall and no attic above. I want to install a Bath Exhaust Fan into the wall (window wall) instead of the ceiling. My question is does the light have enough juice for me to just split off from the light into the fan instead of running a wire from the fan to the light switch which is located on the opposite wall? Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

timstahl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #2

I'm not an electrician, but I see no reason why you wouldn't have enough "juice". Assuming the light is wired with 15 amp romex wires, a bathroom fan plus the light will definitely NOT exceed 15 Amps. I'd do it, but it's electricity in a bathroom, so be careful. And of course, don't do it if you don't know what you are doing.

Vincer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincer For This Useful Post:
timstahl87 (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #3

If you are renting, then stop right now and check with your land lord. Other than that try turning off the breaker for the bathroom and see what else is on that circuit. Is this circuit GFI protected? How will you get the wire from the light fixture to the wall with no attic access? It may involve cutting open drywall. This project is do-able but might not be the best one to start with.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
timstahl87 (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses! I am the home owner so that is covered. We just had the bathroom rocked so we didnt even paint yet. I was planning on just cutting the path in the drywall to run the wire through the studs. Should only be a 2ft hole at most and an easy patch job. The outlets are all GFCI but I am running it off the light fixture so that is not.
timstahl87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bath, exhaust fan, fan, light, wire