Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

Basic question about adding more lights.

Hello! I have a question regarding adding more lights. My basement is very dark and there's only two lights on the one side, which is turning into more of a finished basement on this side (other side is a workshop, laundry, etc.)

Question is this. I want to add two more lights to the existing two in the ceiling. I did a very basic drawing to tie in a visual. Also, I did some reading about the overall load of the circuit. This circuit is on 20 amps, so based on some reading I did online in conjunction with what's connected to the circuit (just seems like it effects a handful of lights, no outlets at all), it seems like I have some headroom. But I do understand I have to do some more wattage calculations to make sure I still have the proper headroom needed. This question is more about whether or not I can even do what I'm brewing up in my mind.

Here's the image:
http://imgur.com/qP11cVE

Red dots = existing lights.
Black lines = existing wiring.
Yellow dot = light in other side of basement that the lights from the finished side are connected to.
Green dot = electrical box.
Blue dots = new lights I want to install.
Blue lines = new 14/2 wiring I want to install.

Can I add them in this demeanor? I just wasn't sure if I can branch off quite like this.

Thanks for the insight!

roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

If the circuit is 20 amps you cannot use #14 wire. You need #12.

Other than that it will work as long as the boxes have enough stated capacity for the new cables.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Thanks for your quick response! I pulled this up on my phone when I was in line at the hardware store. Had to run back because I had no 12-2. Saved me a trip! Thanks again.
roasted is offline   Reply With Quote