Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #1

Share |

Basic How To Change a Light Bulb

This may seem like a silly question but ... There are recessed lights in our bathroom and they have been changed about every 2 - 3 years. In the past it was a source of frustration for my husband to remember how to remove the clips and get the cover off and change the light bulb. And he was quite the handyman so I do not say this lightly. Sadly he has passed and now it falls on me to figure out how to get this cover off and change the bulb. Any suggestions about removing this light cover. My guess is that this particular fixture was produced in circa 1970. It has about a 4" diameter and appears to have some kind of metal clip that holds the cover in. I just can't seem to remove the cover.

Jane J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
DIY staff

Those 4" light covers are usually a 'jamb' fit---often the cover has spring steel barbed metal things that just grab the inside of the can-----

Often they just pull down and pop loose----if you can post a picture----that will get you a better answer---

A trip to the home depot to look at lights similar to yours would give you a chance to play with the lights and see how the trims are commonly held on----

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Those 4" light covers are usually a 'jamb' fit---often the cover has spring steel barbed metal things that just grab the inside of the can-----

Often they just pull down and pop loose----if you can post a picture----that will get you a better answer-------
I will add that if you twist or rotate it slightly while pulling down, you may have a better chance of getting it open on those type of fixture lenses ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote