Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

Basic Circuit

Just a couple simple questions. I'm putting a new circuit into my garage with 2 outlets on it and an outside motion light (which will have a turn off switch).

Would the best way to do this be to run the electric to outlet 1, then outlet 2, then the switch and then finally to the light?

Also, I am not completely up on GFCI outlets, but is there a certain way it needs to be wired at the receptacle for this?

Would it be best to bring in the line on 2 screws and send it out on the other 2 screws? Or would it be best to put a wire nut on the line in and out and put a 3rd in the nut to go to the outlet?

VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #2

Basic Circuit

First, the GFI...

I understand that the GFI device must be the first item on the circuit in order that all subsequent devices be protected. For this to work, the supply and continuation must be on the screws as marked. Using wire nuts as you suggest would result in the downstream devices being unprotected by the GFI outlet.

As far as the order of theremaining devices, I expect this to make no difference.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #3

Basic Circuit

Okay so bring in the supply to the first GFCI outlet and put it on the screws and continue it out on the screws. And I also assume that each outlet needs to still be a GFCI outlet?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #4

Basic Circuit

Lights are not required to be GFCI protected
Depending upon location of devices you can go to anything 1st
If its easier to go to the light switch location you can do that
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #5

Basic Circuit

The first outlet will be where I'm going to first, it will be most convenient. Going to the light switch next would be the next best. And since the light doesn't have to be GFCI, there isn't anything special I need to do?

Thanks again for the quick response, it sure is nice to have somewhere to go where people are so friendly
Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Basic Circuit

OK, feed 1st outlet GFCI
From the same LINE in (feed) run to the light switch
From the LOAD side of the GFCI feed any other outlets
You can have the lights on GFCI, but not required
If the GFCI trips you lose the lights
Usually not a big problem to have lights on GFCI

Every light in my pool cabana is GFCI...due to the pool
It was already wired that way
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #7

Basic Circuit

Quote:
And I also assume that each outlet needs to still be a GFCI outlet?
No. Everything after the GFI is protected by the first device. In fact, I understand that additional GFIs may cause problems.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

Basic Circuit

Okay, my last question is in regards to tacking down the wire. If I am fishing the wire down the walls that are already drywalled, how do I secure the wire from being pulled out of the box? I'm using blue old work boxes.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Mad Scientist

Basic Circuit

Those blue old-work boxes have knockouts with plastic tabs that serve as a cable clamp. Once you push the cable into the box, it won't easily come out. Since you're fishing wire through a finished wall, that's all that's required to secure the cable.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #10

Basic Circuit

Okay, I knew the clamp was there, but I wasn't sure if something else was required. I have an electrical book and it says how it should be secured within 8 inches of the box to the stud, but wasn't sure about.

I am ran the wire through my crawl space, it went up through the ceiling in my laundry room from the box and then down into the crawl space. I ran the wire across the support beam to the other side and then up the floor joist into the wall in the garage. Is there anything special that I need to do to the wire in the crawl space? It's well insulated, and dry down there.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

Basic Circuit

In the crawl space if you are running the wire along the joist just attach it to the joist

If you are running it across the bottom of the joists you now need a running board installed across the joists 1st
Then attach the wire to the running board
You are also allowed to drill thru the joists - not my preference
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #12

Basic Circuit

I ran it along the support beam (the board running left to right in the picture below, not my crawl space its just a stock photo). I didn't want to drill holes all the way across for just 1 wire.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #13

Basic Circuit

That's fine
Old 09-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Just call me Andrew

Basic Circuit

Just to be clear - anything fed off the LINE (incoming) terminals of the GFCI outlet is NOT protected.

Anything fed from the LOAD terminals IS protected.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #15

Basic Circuit

The outlet that was in the back of my garage I didn't touch, but the wire does not reach long enough to get to my new box on the ceiling. If I just want to make this wire longer, do I have to put it in a box AND have the box accessible? I really don't want another box on the ceiling that serves no purpose, if this is the case I'll have to redo the whole wire which might be a pain.

And also, I assume its OK to put 5 #14 wires in a wire nut if the nut is the right size? Just making sure it's an OK thing to do in my garage before I do it.

Thanks