DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement wiring questions

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sandiec 
#1 ·
Hi
newbie here. I am adding 15A circuits for my wood shop that is situated in my basement. For the most part I followed the routes the pros did when they wired it. My dilemma arises when I want to add outlets to the far wall.
My basement is concrete floor with concrete walls and cinder blocks through the middle (it forms two rooms). There is no dry wall and I do not plan to put any up. That being said I have a large copper waste pipe that runs along the wall where I would like to add 3 outlets. Is it ok to go over the top of the copper or do I need to put the cable in conduit? Also is it ok to run the cable in direct contact with the concrete and use masonry(I think i saw masonry staples in lowes next to the wood staples these are for the 14/2 I am running not the other kind of staples I use in the shop). The exsisitng wiring from 1969 is all run on a wooden board that is nailed to the concrete except for the outlet boxes that are fixed to the cinder block wall.
Oh 1 more thing when I daisy chain along to the next outlet do I need to return the wire to the ceiling and then back down or can I go horizontal to the next outlet?

Thanks in advance or any advice

Sandie.:no:

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by over the top of the copper pipe. If you mean attach the nm cable to the copper pipe then no that would not be the right way to do it. Is there a finished ceiling above these rooms? You could run nm overhead if you have an open joist ceiling or drop ceiling, then use conduit to transition down to the outlets on the block walls. You could run conduit all the way from the panel and run it horizontally along the wall to each outlet box. There are lots of options. I would use 4x4 steel boxes with raised covers. What are you going to power with 15 amps? Are going to have stationary or portable machines for woodworking? You may need dedicated circuits with more amperage depending on what you are using for tools.

#4 ·
Twenty amp circuits are a better choice for a workshop. One third more power for a slight increase in wire cost.

Here is what the 2011 NEC says about wiring in unfinished basements.

(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where
cable is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements
and crawl spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables
not smaller than two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors
directly to the lower edges of the joists. Smaller cables
shall be run either through bored holes in joists or on running
boards. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable installed on the
wall of an unfinished basement shall be permitted to be
installed in a listed conduit or tubing or shall be protected
in accordance with 300.4.
Conduit or tubing shall be provided
with a suitable insulating bushing or adapter at the
point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of the
nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the conduit
or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less than
6 mm (1⁄4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm
(12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or
tubing. Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall
be connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying
with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

You will also need GFI protection for the 120 volt circuits.

#5 ·
Need to run it in conduit, should have been #12 wire with a 20 amp. breaker.
Also should be GFI protected.
You can just attach the metal boxes directly to the wall with a Tap Con screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.