Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Basement - Wiring & Insulation

Ok guys, been on this site several times now and love the information. I am planning to finish my basement and have a couple of questions.

I have 1x2 furring strips on the wall from the previous owner, and dont want to rip them all out. I am going to frame the walls with 2x4's turned sideways, due to it being MUCH easier to find straight boards. This will give me sufficient clearance for electrical. I plan on using the foam insulation sheets between the studs.

My question is this.... does electrical have to run in conduit, or can it be run horizontal up against the foam? I have looked all over this site and have read a few basement remodel book, but cannot find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

Brady
heybrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Electrician

You need to fasten your wires 1 1/4 away from the face of the flat 2x4's other wise you need to nail plate, I generally just tyrap the NM to the concrete with tyraps that come with a hole for a screw...
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Building and plumbing

i just done a basement the same way and the electrician used a router with a 3/4" bit to rip a notch 3/8" deep across the studs, then used nail plates over the wires
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
i just done a basement the same way and the electrician used a router with a 3/4" bit to rip a notch 3/8" deep across the studs, then used nail plates over the wires

He's alot braver than me, personally I think the nail plates bump the sheetrock out to much, I would rather just go up and down... but to each his own.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #5

Hey Chris.

What do you use to connect to the cement? The guy at HD told me to use tapcons. I was hoping I could use self tapping screws. And if you are going up and down do you just tyrap both wires in the same tyrap?

Last edited by Bcoleman6; 03-10-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcoleman6 View Post
Hey Chris.

What do you use to connect to the cement? The guy at HD told me to use tapcons. I was hoping I could use self tapping screws. And if you are going up and down do you just tyrap both wires in the same tyrap?
Personally I would just get some concrete nails, but sometimes tapcons are just plain easier... and yes I would just tyrap both cables together, just be careful how many you start tyraping together.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
Electrician

Here is the code section in case you had any more questions...

Name:  300.4(D).jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  52.9 KB
Old 03-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the info so far.

I guess the part where I'm stuck regards the insulation. Do I have to do anything special if there is rigid foam insulation between the studs?

I am going to put 1" rigid foam between the studs, so in the extra 1/2 inch of space between the foam and drywall, can the wires be run in the open or is conduit needed?
heybrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrady View Post
Thanks for the info so far.

I guess the part where I'm stuck regards the insulation. Do I have to do anything special if there is rigid foam insulation between the studs?

I am going to put 1" rigid foam between the studs, so in the extra 1/2 inch of space between the foam and drywall, can the wires be run in the open or is conduit needed?

I would just notch or router out the space for the wires...