Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

basement wiring help needed

I am in need of a diagram or info on how to wire the following on 1 circuit:

Panel-outlet-outlet-2 seperate switches for seperate lights-outlet at end of 1 set of lights. The other lights end at the lights.

Basically at the 2nd outlet i want to branch off to two seperate switches if possible.

Its a 15 amp circuit and i have 14/2 wire to use unless i need different.

Thanks.

Racer33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

You just need to take what you just stated and draw it out on paper. I would though keep the outlets on a separate circuit from the lights.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

Basically i just want to know if i can pigtail at the second outlet off to two separate switches and how that would exactly be done
Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

No, because it is not the proper way. It ends up appearing as a DIY job. What does this second outlet go? Think of it this way, if you trip the circuit breaker because you overload the outlet, you have no lights. That is why receptacles tend to be placed on their own circuit, and usually are wired as 20 amp circuits. If you have open ceiling, and enough breaker space, lay out a plan to split the basement into four circuits min for convenience outlets.

In my house, the only circuit that has lighting still on the outlets, is my living room, due to how they had wired the house originally in 1937, with four fused circuits. That one I left as a 15 amp, due to #14 wiring, and did not need anything larger for that circuit, same as when I rewired my two bedrooms.

You really need to draw out a plan of what you are wanting to do, along with pre-existing circuits down there, and map out what you have already in the breaker panel.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #5

The ceiling is wide open. So i will do it right with lights and outlets on different circuits. The will make it easier too. I already have empty breakers in the panels so its just a matter of pulling wires
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Lic Electrical Inspector

Save your money. Receptacle outlets are not required to be on a seperate 20 amp circuit in a basement. Everything can be on one circuit. If you have a specific peice of equipment that draws a lot of current, run a dedicated circuit to that only. There is no limit to the number of receptacles that can be wired on a 15 amp general lighting circuit in a dwelling unit. My only concern would be the type, number and size of the lights. If you are planning a lot of lights you may want to consider adding a 15 amp circuit. Otherwise, one 15 amp circuit will be fine. Good luck!
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

I know 1 circuit will be enough based on what ill have down there. I just dont know how to wire it, from the outlet to two separate switches
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Sparky

assuming you're not using 3 way switches, just wire it color to color. panel to receptacle to receptacle to switch to switch to receptacle, or any other order.. all the neutrals and grounds in each box go together, pigtail the switches into your constant hot, use the black in the 14/2 from the lights as your switched leg. boxes with 3 cables will need to be atleast 20ci, if memory serves.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer33t View Post
I know 1 circuit will be enough based on what ill have down there. I just dont know how to wire it, from the outlet to two separate switches
Try this. Panel -14/2-R-14/2-R-14/2-2GS (SW1)-14/3-L-14/3-L-14/3-L-14/2-R
2GS(sw2)-14/2-L-14/2-L-14/2-L-14/2-L

Connect all whites together at switches. Connect black of 14/3 to black of incoming 14/2 feed then connect it through all lights to last 14/2 to receptacle. Red of 14/3 connects to switch one and to each light ending at last light. Second switch - connect incoming black of 14/2 feed to both switches on bottom terminal. Connect black of second 14/2 switch leg to top of second switch then connect through to all lights. Whites are connected together and to all lights and receptacles. Good luck!
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Try this. Panel -14/2-R-14/2-R-14/2-2GS (SW1)-14/3-L-14/3-L-14/3-L-14/2-R
2GS(sw2)-14/2-L-14/2-L-14/2-L-14/2-L

Connect all whites together at switches. Connect black of 14/3 to black of incoming 14/2 feed then connect it through all lights to last 14/2 to receptacle. Red of 14/3 connects to switch one and to each light ending at last light. Second switch - connect incoming black of 14/2 feed to both switches on bottom terminal. Connect black of second 14/2 switch leg to top of second switch then connect through to all lights. Whites are connected together and to all lights and receptacles. Good luck!
Was going to open a new thread , but maybe this is similar to my scenario in a basement finishing project as well. Will have a dedicated 15AMP for a set of can lights: 4(home theatre section), 2 (middle/bar section), 5(play area section). How would I wire from panel if I wanted to control each section with a different light switch with the play area section controlled by a 3-way. Will I definitely need a 14-3 wire; I presently only have wired only 14-2. Don't want to close my drywall unless I get a definite answer.
legende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by legende View Post
Was going to open a new thread , but maybe this is similar to my scenario in a basement finishing project as well. Will have a dedicated 15AMP for a set of can lights: 4(home theatre section), 2 (middle/bar section), 5(play area section). How would I wire from panel if I wanted to control each section with a different light switch with the play area section controlled by a 3-way. Will I definitely need a 14-3 wire; I presently only have wired only 14-2. Don't want to close my drywall unless I get a definite answer.
You should always open a new thread. That way the answers will be specific to your issues, and not general towards the type of issues.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 18

From panel, hot to first switch, from first switch, cable to lights, and cable to next switch location.
From 2nd switch location, cable to 3rd switchand cable to lights.
From 3rd switch, 14/3 to next switch, then 14/2 to light fixtures.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Save your money. Receptacle outlets are not required to be on a seperate 20 amp circuit in a basement. Everything can be on one circuit. If you have a specific peice of equipment that draws a lot of current, run a dedicated circuit to that only. There is no limit to the number of receptacles that can be wired on a 15 amp general lighting circuit in a dwelling unit. My only concern would be the type, number and size of the lights. If you are planning a lot of lights you may want to consider adding a 15 amp circuit. Otherwise, one 15 amp circuit will be fine. Good luck!
Put the lighting on a seperate circuit. NO, it's not required but it's just common sense. The code doesn't always use common sense. There will come a time when you overload an outlet, or a few of them and if you just use one circuit for both you will be without lighting. Do it the smart way.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

If doing a home theater, you could use a relay panel, so that you can control the lights from your chair, or controller. Basically, you would press the button labeled "movie", the lights would dim, projector would start up, Flat panel would shut off, screen would come down, then movie in the blu-ray, or on tv provider box would start playing. That is, if you really want to go that route for a good system for watching movies. You could also do it without the high end controller by using the switches mounted on a pedestal next to your favorite chair. It just depends on how much you are willing to spend.