Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Silky

Share |

Basement wiring diagram review

Before calling in an electrician, I would like to have an idea of what needs to be done in my "finish the basement" task so I have taken a stab at a preliminary wiring design. I plan to do the work myself and then call in an electrician to inspect it and fix any problems they find before the basement goes live (with the permit inspection) (yes, it would be nice to have an electrician do everything from start to finish, but I just don't have the money). The more stuff I can get "right" in the first place, the less work the electrician will have to redo. Would you folks mind reviewing it and make suggestions for improvement or let me know about errors. I've attached the diagram. As I won't know how readable this will be until after the post, hopefully it will be ok. Hopefully I've included enough information to enable a useful review.

A - Blue, 12/2 WG, 120v on 20A AFCI breaker in upstairs main service panel. Bedroom outlets and ceiling light.
B - Dirty green, 6/3 WG, 240v of 60A breaker in upstairs main service panel. Feeds new basement subpanel.
#1 - Red, 12/2 WG, 120v on 20A breaker in subpanel. Game room outlets. Outdoor outlet.
#2 - Purple, 14/2 WG, 120v on 15A breaker in subpanel. Storage room light and outlet. Game room lights. Smoke detectors. Closet light. Outdoor light.
#3 - Cyan, 12/2 WG, 240 on 20A breaker in subpanel. Two 1600w heaters and thermostat in game room.
#4 - Green dotted, 12/2 WG, 240 on 20A breaker in subpanel. One 1500w heater (built-in thermostat) in bedroom.
#5 - Green, 12/2 WG, Sewage pump alarm outlet (GFCI?), Bathroom fan, light, and GFCI outlet.
#6 - Yellow, 14/2 WG, 120v on 15A, sewage pump.
#7 - Beige, 14/2 WG, 120v on 15A, refrigerator.

Jess
keyword = JessJoeMama

majesticjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #2

nice diagram, I need to draw one up myself edit: what kind of software do i need to create something like that

Last edited by gnosti83; 03-01-2010 at 09:06 PM.
gnosti83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior

Great diagram and first post. Suggest upsizing all circuits to 12/2 for nominal cost. Only one wire size needed for project and it allows for future flexibility.
H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Silky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosti83 View Post
nice diagram, I need to draw one up myself edit: what kind of software do i need to create something like that
Microsoft Visio 2003
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

The purple and red circuits I belieive under the new 2008 code are required to be AFCI. The purple for sure since it goes into the bedroom for the smoke.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Electrician

Joed since we don't know where the OP is this makes it a little harder to discuss. In Canada the smoke detector can not be on AFCI circuit, it may be different in the US.

It looks like he may be from Oregon, so i have no clue about your smoke on the AFCI.

Last edited by darren; 03-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #7

Since most posters here are from the US my info was based on that possibly mistaken assumption.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #8

IP seems to track to the US

Majestic - please update your profile with your location
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Unless local codes over ride the nec, smokes are to be on afci breakers.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #10

While we're at it, the heater on the dashed green being in the bedroom, probably also needs to be AFCI.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Electrician

Joed would that be the same in Canada to or is just the plugs up here that have to be AFCI
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #12

In Ontario receptacles in a bedroom must be AFCI. Smokes and carbon monoxide detectors must NOT be AFCI. It's only bedrooms currently not living spaces like in the NEC. Not sure if lighting is required to be, but it is not prohibitted from being AFCI.

Last edited by joed; 03-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Silky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
IP seems to track to the US

Majestic - please update your profile with your location
I've updated my location in the Control Panel (Oregon), but you will notice in the lower right hand corner of my originally posted diagram that I noted my location (so as to not receive Canadian advice or to not to receive advice from a state that is different than Oregon. I've seen one piece of information that seems to indicate that Oregon is NEC 2008, but I don't know for sure so enlighten me please as I'm just starting my self education on this stuff). Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #14

You need to check locally. Because codes can very from town to town as they add or delete sections of the NEC. I have read of differnet areas of the country deleting the section requiring AFCIs.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
Silky

Below is some quoted code information I refer to in this post:

The 2008 Oregon Electrical Specialty Code (OESC) is based on the 2008 National Electrical Code with Oregon amendments. Some significant changes include;
b) Amend Section 210.12(B) by adding the following: "Exception No. 3: Electrical outlets dedicated for the use of single station smoke alarms (interconnected or not), nurse call, or medical equipment shall not be required to have AFCI protection."

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
Changes and comments (new drawing attached):
1. Drawing does have windows. 2 in game room, one legal egress window in bedroom.

2. Added recessed light and switch to bedroom closet.

3. Changed 12/2 wires to 12/3 for some ceiling lights for possible future modifications.

4. Put refridgerator on its own circuit.

5. Added a dedicated circuit for a possible microwave.

6. Changed game room lighting circuit from 14 to 12 guage.

7. Noted which outlets must be GFCI. Unfinished Area, Outdoor, Bathroom, Sewage pump.

8. Contemplated division of outlets and lights into various other configurations. Decided to leave as drawn unless some other better reason is presented.

9. Took the smoke detectors and unfinished area stuff off of the game room circuit and made it a separate circuit. Ran wire from last smoke detector to an accessible junction box in case I have to upgrade all of the battery operated smoke detectors in the house. (I don't think I should have to do this and will fight against the inspector on this item. I'm finishing the house and not goofing around with the rest of the house's electric). I don't want to put the smoke detectors on a dedicated circuit because it could encourage turning that breaker off.

10. Heaters are not on a AFCI breaker. (only required for 120v circuits).

11. Will make sure non-recessed ceiling lights have a beefy box incase something like ceiling fans are added in the future.

12. I'm not showing network, tv, telephone, and speaker wire runs in this diagram so it will not become too cluttered.

Questions:
1. How should unused wires be terminated? For example, for some ceiling lights I am running 12/3 cable to them even though only 12/2 is only being used at this time. Also, how should the unused wires at the end of the smoke detector run in the junction box be terminated?

2. Does circuit #9 need to be on an AFCI breaker? I know smoke detectors don't, but I have other items on that circuit.

3. It is my understanding that putting a light in a closet is optional and not required under NEC 2008, correct?

4. Would it be advantageous to put all of the heaters on a dedicated 30A circuit?

Thanks for everyone's help so far and I'm looking forward to your additional comments.