Basement Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Basement wiring

Trying to make sure I'm understanding a couple things related to a basement wiring project I'm undertaking. Basement is half finished. Finished side has a drop down ceiling. The stud cavities are left open on the unfinished side.

1. I was told by an electrician that it is against code to use romex cable above a drop down ceiling. However, in doing Internet research, it appears this does not apply to residential, single family homes. Am I correct? I'm in IN so not sure if it could be a local code trumping the NEC.

2. Let's assume I use romex. Some of my wiring will enter switch and receptacle boxes located in the stud cavities between the finished/unfinished side. Since the wiring will be exposed on the unfinished side (stud cavities are open), I imagine this would be a code violation? I imagine my solution would be to either use conduit/bx cable in those spaces or cover up the exposed wiring with drywall or paneling.

Thanks for help in advance.

Advertisement

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Basement wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atskodinski View Post
Trying to make sure I'm understanding a couple things related to a basement wiring project I'm undertaking. Basement is half finished. Finished side has a drop down ceiling. The stud cavities are left open on the unfinished side.

1. I was told by an electrician that it is against code to use romex cable above a drop down ceiling. However, in doing Internet research, it appears this does not apply to residential, single family homes. Am I correct? I'm in IN so not sure if it could be a local code trumping the NEC.

2. Let's assume I use romex. Some of my wiring will enter switch and receptacle boxes located in the stud cavities between the finished/unfinished side. Since the wiring will be exposed on the unfinished side (stud cavities are open), I imagine this would be a code violation? I imagine my solution would be to either use conduit/bx cable in those spaces or cover up the exposed wiring with drywall or paneling.

Thanks for help in advance.
Unless local code says otherwise you can use NM above suspended ceilings in residential construction. As far as I know you can still use NM even though it will be exposed in certain portions of your basement. Covering it with drywall, etc would be a good idea though.

Advertisement

Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Basement wiring

Not an issue that I'm aware off.

If that was the case, then many, many inspectors passed my work, and they are never wrong!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Basement wiring

Makes me wonder why he said I couldn't use NM...

I meant to make mention that I do plan to properly use staples through the stud cavities...and above drop ceiling for that matter.
Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote