Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85
Share |

Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC

I am in the process of remodeling my basement family room where I am installing my 1080P projector and theatrical sound system. As part of this install, I am installing new recessed can lights and track lighting over the fireplace, and some sconces on the wall. I found Leviton DHC (Decora Home Controls) and they have a slick setup that I am going to implement. They have a 7 scene controller that you can program for different settings in the room, which then controls the actual dimmers mounted in the wall.

My original plan for lighting control was just to use some standard dimmers (wasn't ideal, but figured it was a whole lot cheaper) so I have already routed all my wiring to a 4 gang box on the post in the middle of the room. Once I found Leviton's DHC, I simply added another box above the 4 gang to mount the Scene Controller into that will simply set the dimmers directly below it to the desired levels.

I have attached some pictures of the current setup, looking for any constructive criticism, I am building the post out to allow Sheetrock to enclose the wiring and to be flush with the boxes. I have 2 additional runs of wire (1 - 14/3 and 1 - 14/2) that still need to be run down this post, and other than the temp wiring in the boxes (and 2 wires under 1 staple) is there anything I should be doing differently?

Also, most of the lighting loads will be pretty light weight, smallest being 2 65 watt floods (130 watts), next being 3 65 watt floods (195 watts) fireplace lights probably going to be at most 4 50watt halogens (200 watts) and the biggest being the wall sconces which I believe are 150 watts each (300 watts).

I know you need to derate with dimmers when installing multiple dimmers in the same box, but trying to figure out if I can use 4 - 600 watt dimmers, or if the wall sconces need to be on a 1000 watt dimmer due to the derating? The box as you can see is all metal and should provide some heat dissipation through the metal.

Here is the 600 watt dimmer I am looking at: http://www.smarthome.com/2209WI/Levi...M06-1SW/p.aspx

Here is the 7 Scene controller: http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_HCCS7-10W.htm

I won't be Sheetrocking for a while yet, but want to finalize all my wiring soon so I can go through all do most of the Sheetrock all at once.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC-10-26-09_2247.jpg   Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC-10-26-09_2248.jpg   Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC-10-26-09_2249.jpg   Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC-10-26-09_2250.jpg   Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC-10-26-09_2251.jpg  

Basement Remodel, Leviton DHC-10-26-09_2259.jpg  

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #2

I don't know the derating formulas but I would think about installing a second 4 gang box underneath the one shown and put two dimmers in each, if the calculations did not come out favorably.

Two wires under a staple is okay but the outermost one as shown has to be at least 1-1/4 inches in from the edge of the outer stud.

Remove the jacket from the cable before inserting it into the box, with about 1/4 inch of jacket and at least 6 inches of wires inside. Box clamps must come down on jacket, not on the wires themselves. You may choose to cut the cables more generously so that the ground wire for one is more than 8 inches long as it enters the box, so it can go through the small end of special green wire nuts and require one fewer pigtail.

Just for kicks, take a scrap piece of Romex, clamp it into a box temporarily with 6 inches inside, and then see how difficult it is to strip the jacket off.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-27-2009 at 08:36 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #3

Yeah I've got a romex tool that strips the sheath quite easily. Its basically a folded piece of metal with a tooth that slices through the sheath without damaging the conductors inside.

Yeah I know the 2 wires under one staple is not ideal, I am trying to limit this to the two sets of outer cables.I don't have a lot of options here with the number of wires I have running down this post; in total its 6 - 14/2 and 2 - 14/3. All the wires are at least 1.5" from any face of the firred out studs (they are 2 3/16" deep off the face of the post and they are standard 1 1/2" wide); except where the firred out studs were ripped down a little bit near the boxes so that the 2 cables on either side can make it around the box. That is ripped down to 1", so I will probably have to use some nail plates in that area.

I am hoping someone here knows about how to derate for mutiple dimmers and how much the metal box affects the derating (I am hoping it helps a lot here). I'd rather not install another box below this one as I am trying to keep everything installed at the same height around the room. I will probably be putting another box on the backside of this post for the Bar side of the room (bar and game area) but I only plan on a 2 or maybe 3 switch box.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #4

Here is a link for Lutron dimmers, info should be similar:
http://www.lutron.com/lutron/glossary.asp
do a search for Leviton
Here is one
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/levito...green_line.asp

Last edited by Code05; 10-27-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #5

From what I can tell, these DHC 600 watt Leviton dimmers do not have the same tabs on the sides as the Lutron dimmers do. But if they follow the same derating specs as the lutron dimmers do, then at 400 watts I should be OK on the highest load being 300 watts.

Does anyone know much more about the Leviton DHC dimmers and controls? It says a signal repeater is required in every installation, however I wonder if that will be necessary here. Power for this one circuit will come into the single gang box above where the 7 Scene controller will go, then feed power onto the box below it where there will be 4 dimmers at. Everything being connected very close together and all on the same single circuit, I can't see how a repeater would be necessary in this situation.

Also, does anyone know why they say 4 controller maximum per circuit? Best I can figure is the potential load you could have on the circuit at one time (600x4=2400). All my loads on at full (in this half the room) total up to 825 watts; the other half the room where the bar is going to be is smaller and will have fewer lights.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #6

I'm not sure you can double-up under staples, I thought staple rules are
  • Only 1 wire per standard 1/2" staple
  • Must be placed within 8" of boxes without clamps and 12" with
  • At least every 4' 6" going across framing members
  • Within 12" of going through a hole
  • Kept 1 1/4" in from the face of studs
  • Must be protected by conduit if walls are 1 1/2" or thinner (maybe one of those "metal plates" is good enough for short distances I don't know)
I would pick up a bag of cable stackers, cheap enough, easier, and sure to be used. They self center too on standard framing. This one can stack 4 wires

Last edited by Piedmont; 10-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #7

Ive heard of those cable stacker staples but I have not seen them in the store; could be I just haven't looked in the right place. Once I run the last two wires I need, I'll see if I can get them all under their own staples with out doubling up.