Basement Remodel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement Remodel

So, i have finished all the framing for the basement and I am ready to start the Electrical. I had an Electrician come out and he wants to charge 1700 to put in the wires and outlets. He also said that there has to be so many outlets per wall. Is this true? if so what is the requirement. Also i just want to make sure I got the right wire. Can someone help me by telling me what type of wire i need?

Thanks for your help.

The most recent Noob

Advertisement

marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #2

Basement Remodel

There's a book... not really a book... much smaller... much more easier. Each page is laminated and ring bound at the top. They sell them al Home depot called "Code Book"... and has a book on each - PLumbing, electrical, etc.

For homeowners... it's great.... easy to understand.
It was helpful for me to know the same kind of questions you have, such as how many outlets per wall... wall against counter space... ACFI or GFCI, etc. I no electrician... and my inspection passed.

Also, don;t be afraid to just ask your building inspector if you have any other qustions.

Keep in mind there might be some national code change requirement around the use of AFCI. I think July 2008 is the cut off.

Advertisement

dbbyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

Basement Remodel

Well heres the thing, I live in the eastern plains of colorado, for me to go to home depot its like a 2hr round trip. I was hoping someone could just tell me. It would make my day a lot easier
Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Master Of Nothing

Rewards Points: 75

Basement Remodel

I would go with 12/2 w/ ground on the wiring job its good for 20amps. I also would use the plastic nail on boxes for the plugs/switches. Little cheaper with those and easier since they already have to nails attached.

I don't know of a required number of plugs per wall. To my knowledge there isn't one UNLESS its a local code thing. But I doubt it.

Is the breaker panel close? Are you having to run another panel? If so that might be where some of the costs is. Im sure some of the others will chime in on this one. BUT they will tell you 12/2 with ground. Its the norm for plugs and so forth. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #5

Basement Remodel

So the panel is in the garage which is two car widths and 1 floor away so i will be putting in another panel. (or attempting to). If anyone could help with explanations for that it would be great. I can wire everything from the panel to the outlets/switches but getting the power to the panel is where i would need some suggestions. anyone have any clues?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

i can tell ya its a job lol. I just completed a job on the shed i built (12x30) that is 25 feet from my house. That #3 kicked my AZZ let me tell ya. But in your situation, kinda need to know how many amps your going to be needing to run all your power needs. What all will you be powering up down there. How many circuits are you wanting?

You will also have to install GFI's as well in the basement. I put mine at the beginning of each run of receptacles and fed 5-6 plugs off each GFI.

Make that info available and this forum can lend a hand. They sure helped me beyond words.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #7

Basement Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500 View Post
i can tell ya its a job lol. I just completed a job on the shed i built (12x30) that is 25 feet from my house. That #3 kicked my AZZ let me tell ya. But in your situation, kinda need to know how many amps your going to be needing to run all your power needs. What all will you be powering up down there. How many circuits are you wanting?

You will also have to install GFI's as well in the basement. I put mine at the beginning of each run of receptacles and fed 5-6 plugs off each GFI.

Make that info available and this forum can lend a hand. They sure helped me beyond words.
Well in the end there will be a bathroom which will have 1 GFI. There will be about 12 light cans throughout and if what i saw on the contractor side about having 1 outlet every 12 feet there will be roughly 12 additional outlets. 3 of which will be used to power a home entertainment system (tv, set top box, surround sound, etc...) is this useful?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
Well in the end there will be a bathroom which will have 1 GFI. There will be about 12 light cans throughout and if what i saw on the contractor side about having 1 outlet every 12 feet there will be roughly 12 additional outlets. 3 of which will be used to power a home entertainment system (tv, set top box, surround sound, etc...) is this useful?
Yes. The bathroom MUST be on a totally separate circuit in this project. Nothing else. I don't think there is anything that says you have to put the outlets that close. No one on this forum has ever mentioned that from what I have read. How many watts are the can lights? Do you know right off hand? How many outlets do you WANT to put down there? If you had a choice? IN which you do lol.

I would also put the lights on there own circuit. Thats just me. So, your looking at possibly, 1 run for bath, 1 run for lights, then divide up the plugs into runs of say 5 or so each. I would also put a GFI at the front of each run. SO if you run 2 circuits of receptacles then you would wire in 2 GFI's at the start of each run. (make sense)? PLUS the one in the bathroom. So maybe 4 circuits all together.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #9

Basement Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500 View Post
Yes. The bathroom MUST be on a totally separate circuit in this project. Nothing else. I don't think there is anything that says you have to put the outlets that close. No one on this forum has ever mentioned that from what I have read. How many watts are the can lights? Do you know right off hand? How many outlets do you WANT to put down there? If you had a choice? IN which you do lol.

I would also put the lights on there own circuit. Thats just me. So, your looking at possibly, 1 run for bath, 1 run for lights, then divide up the plugs into runs of say 5 or so each. I would also put a GFI at the front of each run. SO if you run 2 circuits of receptacles then you would wire in 2 GFI's at the start of each run. (make sense)? PLUS the one in the bathroom. So maybe 4 circuits all together.
The lights show that depending on the bulb used can be from 40-60 watts. So can i put the light and the outlet on the same circuit in the bath? or do i have to do a seperate one for each? and as far as switches go for the lights it will more than likely be seperated into two sets of lights each with there own switch. So i will need to run a seperate circuit for both sets correct? Other than that i will probably use all the outlets i listed just cause it makes life easier not to have to search for a plug! My only other question for now is should the home ent sys be on its own circuit entirely to avoid the risk of it flipping the breaker?

Oh yeah one more. When you say circuit just to make sure i follow what you are saying are you meaning a circuit as in a breaker? what size should i be using for the breakers?

*** EDIT *** Also the wire we already bought is 14-2 nm b w/ground. is this sufficient?

Last edited by marshmallow; 04-25-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

On the wire no. Plugs will need to be on 12/2 w/ gnd. You could run the lights with the 14 sure BUT you have to put them on a 15 amp breaker in the box. I wouls suggest that you run 12-2 to everything. That way all you will have in the panel is 20 amp breakers. 20amp breakers is what you need to supply the circuits. Yes, a circuit in a nutshell is whatever you have coming off one breaker.

Yes, the light and fan can go on same circuit. But like I said, you cant tie anything else into this branch circuit. Has to be alone so to speak lol. If I am not mistaken, you CAN feed all lights off one breaker. Wire up one run then use the Hot leg to feed the next switch and light. If anyone else chimes in on this they will correct me if I am wrong.

In the bath, the light and plug can be on one as thats the way its done. The plug MUST be a gfi in the bath.

If you run 10 plugs lets say, then I would make 2 circuits of 5 outlets each with there own gfi. So in a sense you will have 1 gfi and 4 outlets. You can put more just don't over do it.

I dont know if the ENT center will blow a breaker iff it is installed correctly, so thats going to be entirely up to you.

Last edited by mr500; 04-25-2008 at 08:01 PM.
mr500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #11

Basement Remodel

Well you seem to be the only one offering assistance, so thank you
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

ALSO ...You should check to make sure you don't need any permits etc.. to do this. Some states counties etc.. will let you install but you must pull a permit first. Have to check with your city, county people on that one...
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

well I was hoping an actual electrician would chime in and correct me if I am telling you wrong. Im not electrician, but I have done research when I wired my garage up and so forth.

These guys in here know there stuff, hopefully one will chime in. might have to go track one down lol.

Mike

Last edited by mr500; 04-25-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
Well you seem to be the only one offering assistance, so thank you

Yeah but 93 people have stopped by to read this thread

Mike

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Master Of Nothing

Basement Remodel

OHH and before you get too deep in this, is there room in your main panel for the feed to the sub panel? Just asking in case you may or may not have looked. With the little bit of stuff you are running you can probably get by with a 60 amp feed to the basement. You can go bigger to an extent, for later in life, but 60 is a lot just for plugs and a tv etc.. Gonna be up to you and how much you want to spend.

The main feeder is where most money will go. Copper is up there these days. New panel box will be next. I bought mine at the depot It was 125 amps and it came with 6 breaker. Contractors pack they call it, and it was around 70 bucks. I liked it cause it came with 20 amp breakers already. Shop around see what you can find.

Is your house service 200amps? Do you know?

Mike

Advertisement