Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

basement questions

I have wired a new circuit for my basement. I have the permit and I am awaiting the rough inspection. One wall had drywall that was not taped, just screwed. I removed the drywall and installed the boxes and wiring. The wall has insulation, do I need to remove it for the inspection?

Also, there is an existing light switch at the top of the stairs for the unfinished portion where I am installing the outlets. There is none at the bottom of the stairs or in the unfinished part itself. There is a three-way switch for the finished area top and bottom of stairs.

Do I need to have a three-way switch for the unfinished area? If so, does the bottom switch need to be in the unfinished area? If not, can I take the existing wire that leads to the switch at the top of the stairs and re-route it to the unfinished area (inside of it) and just have that one switch? If possible, the last would be my preferred route.

I appreciate any insight.

Boongoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

basement questions

You only need to remove enough insulation to expose the wires.

If I understand you have two 3 ways for the stairwell and finished area. and 1 single pole at the top of the stairs for the unfinished area.

You want to reroute the single pole to the unfinished area.
If so, yes.

Unfinished area receptacles require GFCI protection

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

basement questions

Thanks. The insulation is stapled and I kind of just pushed the isulation away, not really removed. You cant see all the wiring unless you push aside the insulation. Shouls i just remove it? I would probably have to buy new if I do, but the cost isnt that great.

Great on the light switch.

Yes, I am installing the first recepticle with a GFCI so the whole run will be protected?
Old 10-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #4

basement questions

The inspector may be happy enough as long as he/she can see the bored holes and stapling near the box. I would wait and see what he/she says, but it could be demanded that full exposure is required. Never cover up before inspection.

A GFCI protects receptacles that are downstream and connected to the load side terminals.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

basement questions

Thanks for your advice.

Evan