Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement lighting circuit - multiple lights and switches, end of circuit

I'm working on finishing our basement (framing is done ) and I'm at the electrical stage. I've done a bunch of it already, mainly the simple outlet and lighting circuits, and they're working perfectly, but am a little stumped by the multiple light and multiple switch scenario.

I have 2 bedrooms and a utility room, each with one light and one switch controlling that light. Then at the end of this circuit I have the rec room with 6 recessed lights controlled by one switch.

Here's what I've run so far:
14/2 running from the main panel to BED1 switch
14/3 running from BED1 switch to BED1 light
14/2 running from BED1 light to UTILITY switch
14/3 running from UTILITY switch to UTILITY light
14/2 running from UTILITY light to BED2 switch
14/3 running from BED2 switch to BED2 light
14/2 running from BED2 light to REC switch

Then the REC switch needs to connect to the 6 potlights, with the 6th potlight being at the end of the entire circuit, which is where I'm a little stumped.

So two questions:
1. Is the setup correct thus far?

2. Since the REC room is the end of the circuit would I need to use 14/3 for this switch or could I use 14/2? Could this last segment be setup like a normal single gang switch and multiple light setup since it's at the end of the run and doesn't need the extra hot wire to carry power to another switch & light?

Thanks!

cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
1. Is the setup correct thus far?
Yep...it'll work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
2. Since the REC room is the end of the circuit would I need to use 14/3 for this switch or could I use 14/2? Could this last segment be setup like a normal single gang switch and multiple light setup since it's at the end of the run and doesn't need the extra hot wire to carry power to another switch & light?
From the REC rm switch on, use 14/2. You're correct, no need for the extra wire. Out of the sw to the first light, then next light, etc.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Awesome, thanks so much for your reply SD515!!

I had already wired the rec room with 14/3, and was wondering how to terminate the last light...then I was thinking why do I need 14/3 in there at all??? So I pulled it all out and started in with 14/2, got to the first light and thought I better ask before I do the rest - LOL!

Thanks again.
cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote