DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement lighting circuit - multiple lights and switches, end of circuit

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cmyk 
#1 ·
I'm working on finishing our basement (framing is done :thumbsup:) and I'm at the electrical stage. I've done a bunch of it already, mainly the simple outlet and lighting circuits, and they're working perfectly, but am a little stumped by the multiple light and multiple switch scenario.

I have 2 bedrooms and a utility room, each with one light and one switch controlling that light. Then at the end of this circuit I have the rec room with 6 recessed lights controlled by one switch.

Here's what I've run so far:
14/2 running from the main panel to BED1 switch
14/3 running from BED1 switch to BED1 light
14/2 running from BED1 light to UTILITY switch
14/3 running from UTILITY switch to UTILITY light
14/2 running from UTILITY light to BED2 switch
14/3 running from BED2 switch to BED2 light
14/2 running from BED2 light to REC switch

Then the REC switch needs to connect to the 6 potlights, with the 6th potlight being at the end of the entire circuit, which is where I'm a little stumped.

So two questions:
1. Is the setup correct thus far?

2. Since the REC room is the end of the circuit would I need to use 14/3 for this switch or could I use 14/2? Could this last segment be setup like a normal single gang switch and multiple light setup since it's at the end of the run and doesn't need the extra hot wire to carry power to another switch & light?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Is the setup correct thus far?
Yep...it'll work.

2. Since the REC room is the end of the circuit would I need to use 14/3 for this switch or could I use 14/2? Could this last segment be setup like a normal single gang switch and multiple light setup since it's at the end of the run and doesn't need the extra hot wire to carry power to another switch & light?
From the REC rm switch on, use 14/2. You're correct, no need for the extra wire. Out of the sw to the first light, then next light, etc.

#3 ·
Awesome, thanks so much for your reply SD515!!

I had already wired the rec room with 14/3, and was wondering how to terminate the last light...then I was thinking why do I need 14/3 in there at all??? So I pulled it all out and started in with 14/2, got to the first light and thought I better ask before I do the rest - LOL!

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.