Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Basement Lighting Alternate to Can Lighting

I have a basement room approx 34'X15' that will current be for the purpose of a kids general play area and later Game Room (possibly pool table, TV area for video games, etc). There is 1 large window that is about 10' long. The ceiling is unfinished with silent floor joist and painted flat black @ approx 9'.

I originally planned on can lighting but my electrician quickly demonstrated that each location where a can should be placed, is duct work or some other obsticle. He suggested track lighting which I thought was a good alternative, until I saw a quote.

about 1K for the one room!!!

16 PAR30 lamps? The room has 3 simple ceiling pull string lights that seem to light the room OK, I figured double that to at least 6 if not 8 and should be plenty, but 16?

I want to basement to look nice but figure there could be a less expensive solution.

Any thoughts?

taylorsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

LED disk light. These can retro into a 5-6" can or use a 4" round fixture box(2.5" deep).

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UFtwSK4mXEg

Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsc View Post
I have a basement room approx 34'X15' that will current be for the purpose of a kids general play area and later Game Room (possibly pool table, TV area for video games, etc). There is 1 large window that is about 10' long. The ceiling is unfinished with silent floor joist and painted flat black @ approx 9'.

I originally planned on can lighting but my electrician quickly demonstrated that each location where a can should be placed, is duct work or some other obsticle. He suggested track lighting which I thought was a good alternative, until I saw a quote.

about 1K for the one room!!!

16 PAR30 lamps? The room has 3 simple ceiling pull string lights that seem to light the room OK, I figured double that to at least 6 if not 8 and should be plenty, but 16?

I want to basement to look nice but figure there could be a less expensive solution.

Any thoughts?
As a playroom I would say fluorescent but as a bar/pool table you may want dimmer lighting. My other thought was if there's a 9' ceiling install a drop ceiling and put the lights where you want them.