Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Lighting

Before I start to plan out my wiring for my basement, I wanted to see if anyone had some feedback or advice on my proposed layout. The one area Im having some difficulty is the theater/family area (34'x18'). On one wall will be the TV and on the opposite wall 34 feet away will be an unused area that will likely be home to a poker table or computer desk. Currently I am planning 8 - 5 or 6 cans for this area along with 3 sconces by the tv area. Im struggling with how to tackle the lighting above the poker table area in the event that I dim the cans or turn them off. Most of the time I'd have all the lights on and would like to avoid having to hit two switches for that. The only other solution would be to put a light over that area and put the switch over by the wet bar I guess. The ceiling is about 7 9 right now except for in the hallway which is just under 7 due to hvac. Hence the sconce lighting in the hallway. Once I get this figured out, Ill tackle the circuit layout. Any suggestions or comments?

Last edited by Yankee1423; 07-28-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Yankee1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #2

Basement Lighting

I would definitely use the cans in the main entertainment room as general lighting with a switch at each end of the room. The sconces should be on their own switch, likely a dimmer, so that you can adjust the lighting to watch tv, etc. Wet bar lighting and game area lighting should have their own switches as well, near the wet bar for both would be fine. A ceiling box in the general area of the computer setup/poker table will take care of lighting fixture needs.

Only other thing I saw is in the hallway leading to the bathroom. You only have one switch for those sconces (at least it looks that way) and depending on how long the hallway is that could be a long, dark walk from the entertainment room.
handymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Basement Lighting

Thanks for the feedback. The hallway sconces will have two switches. One by the bedroom door and then one on a switch over by the wet bar. Now I'll just have to find a fixture for the poker/computer area that isn't too overpowering and does not impact the tv area too much.

I've started to plan out the various circuits. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to make a suggestion. I still need to add a circuit or two for the receptacles. I also was not sure of the wire sizes for the lighting circuits. I'm not opposed to 12/x but have heard it can be hard to use when dimmers are involved.

Larger Image Link: http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1833/basement.jpg

Last edited by Yankee1423; 07-28-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #4

Basement Lighting

I dunno hallway I'd have 4 switches One outside each door as well as the wet bar.

You don't want to have to take a step in the darkness to a switch.

I'd probably put a sconce opposite the other two as well .

Bedroom switch inside the door not on the closet.( reach ..not step to a switch)

Wet bar ...maybe I missed it but 2 20 amp gfi outlets or 2 15's with another outlet each ( downstream is protected also.( blender , popcorn popper coffee maker all high draw appiances)

a small ref next to the bar? dedicated 20 amp , Oops dorm fridge

is that one of those absorption types ( low wattage low performance).

Microwave ?? dedicated 20 amp ( good idea to vent it outside )

I would run more outlets in the main room .

Computer/ect maybe put the switch and wiring in place for the light/s

Bath outlet dedicated gfi , not shared with light

You could run a couple of 3 way switched cans in the middle of the two rows for some ambient light for when you don't want to use the dimable 8 cans.

Maybe a ceiling fan ?? I wired up two

I see ya got one of those "fraidy rooms" .

( I'm not an electrician but I did wire my basement yuk yuk )

Last edited by High Gear; 07-29-2010 at 01:13 AM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Basement Lighting

Ok - I've updated the plan and incorporated some of the suggestions. I did not move a few switches b/c the plan makes the wall look longer then it is but I may move it after debating it a little more. Wife needs to chime in as well. Here is the latest plan:

Larger Plan: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3046/basement.png

Are any of these circuits a little heavy or should I combine some? Also if there is a better way to piece it together I'm open to it. And yes, I have the fraidy room. Only thing is that I'm SOL if we needed it b/c it is jammed up with "stuff" right now. It isunder a front porch so we thought it would be cheap storage space.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #6

Basement Lighting

Bedroom light switch put inside door opposite hall switch.

Bath you could run outlets on each side ( keeps the lefty's happy ).

Do you have a switch for a stair light from the first level ( if not you could use the sconces with a three way or 4 way ( top & bottom and wherever else suits you.

I'd probable branch the green circuit before the stair switch and run a line to a switch for your poker/computer lights.

Lots of Fraidy rooms are built this way , put a door in the toy room so you have two ways in and out ( it would be lots quicker IN going through the toy room.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #7

Basement Lighting

Hopefully I'm getting close. Thanks for your help.

1. I'll move the switch. I wanted to look at the actual framing first to see how the reach would really be.

2. Lefties....always causing trouble. May as well since I ran the circuit.

3. There is a switch at the bottom of the stairs for tread lights and another for a sconce at the top of the stairs. The other switch will run the 8 cans.

4. Not sure what you meant by branching off the green circuit. Currently, I have the dark blue circuit coming in to the swtich for the poker area.

5. Is the orange line a little heavy if the light bar in the bathroom is rated for 3 or 4 100w bulbs?

6. No more doors in the fraidy room. That wall is solid concrete and I'm not about to start tearing into that.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Basement Lighting

Duh ..Brain fart here... ....I meant blue.

I thought the poker switch was your 3 way with the other being a 3 way dimmer by the stairs.

If the dashed blue to the right of bar is the 3 way then it needs to be connected to the last light.

OK DAD gum it postin late I'll try this again ... 14-2 or 12-2 to the 3way stair dimmer , THEN 14-3 or 12-3 to the other 3 way , then connect lights with 14-2 or 12-2 ( #14 is plenty for lights unless your running heatlamps , my baths have them)

Branch the same circuit before the stair dimmer and run a line to the poker/computer light,SS ( you'll probable want a couple/three in this area.

You could run a light with fan in the poker area with switches on the wall for both ( that's how I have my main floor setup ) 14-3 from switch box to fan/light.

Also you could run a separate switch for a couple of corner computer area cans.

Size your wire for 80% continuous of rated , so 12 amp on #14 & 16 on #12 wire.

You will have to branch your hall before the 4way , hook up 4way ( two 3's and a 4 with a 14-3 between switches) with 1 leg the other hops to bedroom and continues.

I mean a door behind the stairs to the fraidy room ( in the wall connecting

the stairs to the fraidy wall , lots quicker to actually make it in time vs the

other way. ( think power out & Wizard Of Oz Here ).

Last edited by High Gear; 07-31-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #9

Basement Lighting

Ok, I think I'm pretty close. Here is the latest. Fans are still in discussion. I've also modified the wire size but if someone thinks 12 awg would be better, I'm not opposed to switching. If I reduce the number of circuits I'd like to but I don't know if that could be done.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3046/basement.png
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

Basement Lighting

I used Microsoft Visio. It has a lot of the templates for various floor plans and then I just used a connector to draw the lines. Makes it easy to add or delete as needed.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #11

Basement Lighting

20 amps to outlets , an electric fireplace can pull 1400-1500watts,

not that you may or not but a future owner might.

Vacuum cleaner running ,computer,lights ect same thing they add up.

Fans is just a suggestion , many basement have very stagnate stratified air from a low air exchange rate among other reasons.

Running the furnace blower when you down there would help circulate also provided you have heat runs installed.

I have 6 runs with ceiling diffusers and 2 double returns .
I won't need that much heat/cooling but its mainly to keep fresh air circulating. ( leaving the furnace blower on via thermostat).

Myself I would run the theatre 3way next to the future light switch.

If you wanted to play poker ect you can turn off the theater and just have the theater sconces for ambient lighting.

I wouldn't think nothing of several switches in a box heck I have several 2's some 3's and a 4 switch box main floor.