Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Lighting

Remodeling the basement, need help laying out proper lighting. Is anyone aware of any tools that can help with lighting design?

stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Basement Lighting

Pencil, ruler and grid paper. Some people use Visio, or such to also layout. First step is to sit down and figure out what is already down there on circuits, what you wish to add, and give into that mix, what size is your service, and panel space available.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Basement Lighting

The more the merrier. Lighting is key to taking the basement out of basement remodel. Put in lots of overhead can lighting. I spaced mine on every 3rd joist (48"). Track and other indirect lighting where ever you can place it is great too.
kwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Basement Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilcox View Post
The more the merrier. Lighting is key to taking the basement out of basement remodel. Put in lots of overhead can lighting. I spaced mine on every 3rd joist (48"). Track and other indirect lighting where ever you can place it is great too.
Exactly what i am looking for. It is hard to know how many fixtures are enough without wasting too much energy. I was hoping for some type of rule of thumb, watts of lighting per square foot or something like that. A design software tool will work as well, but i cannot find one.

I am using Visio to draw the actual circuits. Panel is 200 amps with 13 spare breaker spaces. I have plenty of room to add circuits.
stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

Basement Lighting

Design your branch circuits based on fixture ratings. For my basement project, I ran a separate 15A branch circuit for built-in lighting and another for the outlets in each room. 15A at 120V is 1800 watts or 30 60W fixtures max. In practice, you'll never need that many for any given room.

I'd recommend using LED lighting in your overheads since they put out a lot less heat. They are indistinguishable from incandescent if you remember to purchase 2700 K temperature equivalents.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #6

Basement Lighting

I don't know about rules of thumb, but I used 4 100W rated PAR 40 overheads for each 100 sq ft. I also had a 180W tracklight fixture for each 100 sq ft.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Not a Noob or Boob

Basement Lighting

No reason to limit yourself for down the road upgrades. Go with 12ga wire and 20A circuits.

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote