Basement Light Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Light Switch

What I'd like to be able to do: Use the switch at the top of the stairs to turn off the all the lights at once.

My problem: Switch at the top of the stairs controls only one half the basement lights (West side) while the other half (East side) is managed by two switches. The East side switches are wired such that if both are off, you can turn the lights on from either one. Using switch A for example, you can only turn them back off by going to switch A. Switch B is non-functional.

So while my electrical experience is shallow, I know enough to understand I've got two circuits that currently have nothing to do with one another. My question is this: Is there a product out there that will allow me to remotely/wirelessly connect these two circuits together such that I can stand at the top of the stairs and control all three switches with just one of them?

I already have two of my living room lights using remote controlled outlets, but shouldn't the same principle apply to light switches as well?

Thanks for your time
Tim

Advertisement

tabwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Light Switch

Quote:
I know enough to understand I've got two circuits that currently have nothing to do with one another
Not necessarily. If one circuit breaker controls all the lights, a simple rewire may do what you are asking for.

If the feed for the East lights comes from the West lights switch box and doesn't continue on to any receptacles, it would be easy.

There is really not enough info in your post to point you in the right direction.

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Light Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabwoods View Post
So while my electrical experience is shallow, I know enough to understand I've got two circuits that currently have nothing to do with one another. My question is this: Is there a product out there that will allow me to remotely/wirelessly connect these two circuits together such that I can stand at the top of the stairs and control all three switches with just one of them?

Tim;

What you can try is to turn the lights on, then then turn off the break in your main box that you think supplies them, see if they all turn off when you switch off one breaker, or if you really have to turn off multiple breakers to get all the lights to turn off.

If they are all on one breaker, then this would likely be a fairly simple change for an electrician to make. If they are on multiple breakers, it would be a bit more complicated and likely involve more costs.

This is too complicated of a change for someone that does not have electrical experience. However, you can check the breakers and find out if they are all powered by the same breaker.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Basement Light Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Tim;

What you can try is to turn the lights on, then then turn off the break in your main box that you think supplies them, see if they all turn off when you switch off one breaker, or if you really have to turn off multiple breakers to get all the lights to turn off.

If they are all on one breaker, then this would likely be a fairly simple change for an electrician to make. If they are on multiple breakers, it would be a bit more complicated and likely involve more costs.

This is too complicated of a change for someone that does not have electrical experience. However, you can check the breakers and find out if they are all powered by the same breaker.

Jamie
I've rarely seen an "all lighting" circuit in any residential home. That being said, you would more than likely be turning off several outlets with the lights as well, which may or may not be an issue. But if you have a dehumidifier in the basement, or a computer that is on all the time, etc these things would not do well being controlled by a switch.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote