DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement Finishing... Elect Rough-in Qs

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eleservtech 
#1 ·
I searched, but didn't find an answer so...

I'm in the midst of finishing the 1200sf basement in my home, and am going through the whole permitting and inspection game. Per our local regs/codes, I need to have permits for both electrical and plumbing.. and subsequent rough-in and final inspections.

Right now, I'm about 90% complete with my electrical rough-in, by my estimation. The issue that I have is that I cannot get anyone at the permitting or inspection offices to answer me as to how much I need to have completed for my rough-in inspection. So far, I've run wires between all outlets, all light recepticals and switches, and also have run all but a couple of my homeruns back to the fuse panel. I've wired the outlets all together in a run in the guest bedroom, for instance, but not attached the homerun wiring from the fuse panel, it just sticks out of the first outlet on the box, and I've left plenty of length at the fuse panel to attach it to the breakers that I will add. I am adding a number of circuits (dedicated for home theater outlets, computers, different rooms), so I want to make sure that I don't do too little, or too much for the inspection time and waste both the inspector's ($150/hr) or my time.

So, the main question is, what is customary to have completed for rough-in inspection? Can someone give me some pointers on that? Am I going too far, not far enough? Our city follows the NEC 2005 codes, btw.

My second question regards wiring on a particular light switch. In the guest bedroom, I have 6 outlets, and two light recepticals, and I want to run it all on one 20A circuit. My issue comes when trying to tie them all together and still comply with code. My impresson from reading is that for a single-gang box, I cant have three bundles of wire going into it. However, that's the only way that I can see getting power from the circuit panel to the lightswitch, then out to the outlet run, as well as the lights. Is this permittable, or how else could I branch out to both the lights and the outlets? I could run another circuit, but I'd like to keep it tidy.

Thanks to any who can give me a hand!

See less See more
#2 ·
javadoc said:
I searched, but didn't find an answer so...

I'm in the midst of finishing the 1200sf basement in my home, and am going through the whole permitting and inspection game. Per our local regs/codes, I need to have permits for both electrical and plumbing.. and subsequent rough-in and final inspections.

Right now, I'm about 90% complete with my electrical rough-in, by my estimation. The issue that I have is that I cannot get anyone at the permitting or inspection offices to answer me as to how much I need to have completed for my rough-in inspection. So far, I've run wires between all outlets, all light recepticals and switches, and also have run all but a couple of my homeruns back to the fuse panel. I've wired the outlets all together in a run in the guest bedroom, for instance, but not attached the homerun wiring from the fuse panel, it just sticks out of the first outlet on the box, and I've left plenty of length at the fuse panel to attach it to the breakers that I will add. I am adding a number of circuits (dedicated for home theater outlets, computers, different rooms), so I want to make sure that I don't do too little, or too much for the inspection time and waste both the inspector's ($150/hr) or my time.

So, the main question is, what is customary to have completed for rough-in inspection? Can someone give me some pointers on that? Am I going too far, not far enough? Our city follows the NEC 2005 codes, btw.

My second question regards wiring on a particular light switch. In the guest bedroom, I have 6 outlets, and two light recepticals, and I want to run it all on one 20A circuit. My issue comes when trying to tie them all together and still comply with code. My impresson from reading is that for a single-gang box, I cant have three bundles of wire going into it. However, that's the only way that I can see getting power from the circuit panel to the lightswitch, then out to the outlet run, as well as the lights. Is this permittable, or how else could I branch out to both the lights and the outlets? I could run another circuit, but I'd like to keep it tidy.

Thanks to any who can give me a hand!
for your rough in inspection you need to have ALL wires stripped and grounds connected in the boxes , Everything stappled securely, all home runs terminated in the panel (just grounds and neutrals not the hots)

as for your other problem you need to check the size of your boxes to see how many the can hold or just repull your home run the end of the run at an outlet problem solved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.