Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement electrical plan

Hello

Can you guys look over my basement electrical plan for errors? I'm located in MN so any specific code issues would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Basement electrical plan-basement-electrical.jpg  

Last edited by billybojangles; 04-16-2014 at 10:35 PM.
billybojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,294

Basement electrical plan

That is a lot of lights in the Bedroom. Just go with one Ceiling mounted fixture, and allow for two lights next to the bed. One outlet per wall in the bedroom is all that is really needed at minimum. Two is better if placing a Queen or King sized bed, on the wall that the bed is going.

As for the Utility room. I would go with two Fluorescent fixtures to give as much light in there. Also an outlet nearby, for the hvac tech, in case they have to plug in a vacuum or light.

The bath for the light or light/fan combo will most likely have to be GFCI protected. You do not need an outlet above the toilet. Just one to the left or right of the sink will do. I would place one on the opposite wall of the sink for convenience (ie vacuum or shop vac).

The Rec. room is always the hardest part to plan. What may be good for you, may not be good for the next person that buys. I would place ceiling tiles in there, so you can change the lighting arrangement, if the furnishing layout changes down the road.

You also have dead space where the door swings into the bedroom. I would use a pocket door in there, in place of an inswing door. Or change the swing to go the left as you enter the room, and place the light switch on the right as you enter.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement electrical plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
That is a lot of lights in the Bedroom. Just go with one Ceiling mounted fixture, and allow for two lights next to the bed. One outlet per wall in the bedroom is all that is really needed at minimum. Two is better if placing a Queen or King sized bed, on the wall that the bed is going.
I agree with the lights.. They were going to be on a dimmer but still seems like over kill..

Quote:
As for the Utility room. I would go with two Fluorescent fixtures to give as much light in there. Also an outlet nearby, for the hvac tech, in case they have to plug in a vacuum or light.
I did plan on adding more light in the utility room but forgot to add it to the plan, thank you for reminding me. Utility room has two outlets existing..

Quote:
The bath for the light or light/fan combo will most likely have to be GFCI protected. You do not need an outlet above the toilet. Just one to the left or right of the sink will do. I would place one on the opposite wall of the sink for convenience (ie vacuum or shop vac).
Is it ok to have one 20 amp GFI circuit to handle the lights, fan and outlets in the bathroom? I've heard some people say yes and other that say there needs to be two different circuits.. There isn't an outlet above the toilet.. Are you referring to the outlet on the left side of the toilet? If so, that's in the rec room.

Quote:
The Rec. room is always the hardest part to plan. What may be good for you, may not be good for the next person that buys. I would place ceiling tiles in there, so you can change the lighting arrangement, if the furnishing layout changes down the road.
Agreed.. I ended up with this layout because of all the HVAC ducts. It's really the only usable layout..

Quote:
You also have dead space where the door swings into the bedroom. I would use a pocket door in there, in place of an inswing door. Or change the swing to go the left as you enter the room, and place the light switch on the right as you enter.
The dead space is going to have a cold air return in it..

Last edited by billybojangles; 04-16-2014 at 10:39 PM.
billybojangles is offline   Reply With Quote