Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Bedroom Wire Question

Finishing my basement and I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire this setup in a guest bedroom.

Here's what I'd like to do.

run ceiling fan with separate fan and light switches
6 outlets
1 switch and light for closet

What I can't figure out how is to wire this up. I want the bedroom on its own dedicated circuit. I'm going to use 12 wire so I can go 15 or 20AMP breaker.

Tried searching but never found anything similar to what I want to accomplish.

TIA!!

ithawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithawk View Post
Finishing my basement and I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire this setup in a guest bedroom.

Here's what I'd like to do.

run ceiling fan with separate fan and light switches
6 outlets
1 switch and light for closet

What I can't figure out how is to wire this up. I want the bedroom on its own dedicated circuit. I'm going to use 12 wire so I can go 15 or 20AMP breaker.

Tried searching but never found anything similar to what I want to accomplish.

TIA!!
You'll need to put this on an AFCI circuit... as for the circuit routing, that is largely determine by what is most convenient. Which part of the room is closest to the service panel, or where is the feeder from the panel likely to enter the room?

I'd avoid using switch loops on the light switches to ensure that you have a neutral present in each switch box (might not be important now, but will be if you ever decide to use timers or occupancy sensors).

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
You'll need to put this on an AFCI circuit... as for the circuit routing, that is largely determine by what is most convenient. Which part of the room is closest to the service panel, or where is the feeder from the panel likely to enter the room?

I'd avoid using switch loops on the light switches to ensure that you have a neutral present in each switch box (might not be important now, but will be if you ever decide to use timers or occupancy sensors).
I can start the circuit at the fan switch or an outlet and AFCI is no issue.

From there I'm not sure what type (12/2, 12/3) I should run to the switches, lights, or outlets and how to wire them all together.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithawk View Post
I can start the circuit at the fan switch or an outlet and AFCI is no issue.

From there I'm not sure what type (12/2, 12/3) I should run to the switches, lights, or outlets and how to wire them all together.

Well, in that case, I would suggest bringing the feeder into into one of the receptacle boxes with 12/2, run 12/2 to the other receptacles and the light switch boxes. Between the double-switch box and the ceiling fan box, use a run of 12/3 (one leg for the fan, the other for the light).
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
Well, in that case, I would suggest bringing the feeder into into one of the receptacle boxes with 12/2, run 12/2 to the other receptacles and the light switch boxes. Between the double-switch box and the ceiling fan box, use a run of 12/3 (one leg for the fan, the other for the light).
Thanks! So from the feeder receptacle box I would run 12/2 to the next outlet and the fan switch or would I run this at the end of the receptacle run?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

I would run the power in to the switch first.
From the switch run a 12/3 to the ceiling fan/light.
From the switch run to the first receptacle, aroound the room to the closet switch, then to the light.

Avoid switch loops if you can.