Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

baseboard power outlets


i need to have a couple of baseboard power outlets. the problem is, and i am using metal handy boxes with side braces, they are made to be flush with the drywall and not another layer on top of it (baseboard). so i was wondering if anyone knows of some special handy boxes that are made specifically for baseboard outlets that give it more offset between the brace and the edge of the box or is there a trick to it or something.

yeah, i can always leave the box flush with the drywall and recessed a little inside the baseboard but that kindof looks ugly, especially if you don't cut the faceplate opening on the baseboard 100% correct and without gaps around. which is hard to do.

or perhaps if there is a yoke adapter that would indent the outlet outside by an offset of 3/4" or can that simply be accomplished by not screwing the yoke screws all the way in and leaving them out by 3/4" and then accomplish firmness using the faceplate screwed to it and resting against the baseboard ?

thanks


Last edited by amakarevic; 09-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Member
 
Julius793's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New york
Posts: 1,053
Rewards Points: 500
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i need to have a couple of baseboard power outlets. the problem is, and i am using metal handy boxes with side braces, they are made to be flush with the drywall and not another layer on top of it (baseboard). so i was wondering if anyone knows of some special handy boxes that are made specifically for baseboard outlets that give it more offset between the brace and the edge of the box or is there a trick to it or something.

yeah, i can always leave the box flush with the drywall and recessed a little inside the baseboard but that kindof looks ugly, especially if you don't cut the faceplate opening on the baseboard 100% correct and without gaps around. which is hard to do.

thanks
You can use a 1900 box with a 1" mud ring.

__________________
Electricity will kill you if you give it a chance
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,731
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i need to have a couple of baseboard power outlets. the problem is, and i am using metal handy boxes with side braces, they are made to be flush with the drywall and not another layer on top of it (baseboard). so i was wondering if anyone knows of some special handy boxes that are made specifically for baseboard outlets that give it more offset between the brace and the edge of the box or is there a trick to it or something.

yeah, i can always leave the box flush with the drywall and recessed a little inside the baseboard but that kindof looks ugly, especially if you don't cut the faceplate opening on the baseboard 100% correct and without gaps around. which is hard to do.

thanks
Oldwork plastic boxes directly into the baseboard. That is how I do it.
__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Oldwork plastic boxes directly into the baseboard. That is how I do it.
the problem is that all receptacle installation must be done in the rough-in phase, i.e. boxes installed before drywall and baseboard. because then i won't be able to access the wiring.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
You can use a 1900 box with a 1" mud ring.
any issues with using just a simple metal handy box with braces for stud (or in this case, sole plate) mounting with a mud ring?

Last edited by amakarevic; 09-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,731
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
the problem is that all receptacle installation must be done in the rough-in phase, i.e. boxes installed before drywall and baseboard. because then i won't be able to access the wiring.
Just poke the wires out where they will be located. Tell the inspector you are going to oldwork the boxes into the baseboard. SHouldn't be a problem. See it done all the time in old homes, historical renovations, and such. That is also how I like to do it.
__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
Code05 (09-15-2012), frenchelectrican (09-16-2012), stickboy1375 (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,731
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

baseboard power outlets


ALso Julius793 statement is a good idea. Use 2" mud rings and turn them sideways.

or

or

__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Just poke the wires out where they will be located. Tell the inspector you are going to oldwork the boxes into the baseboard. SHouldn't be a problem. See it done all the time in old homes, historical renovations, and such. That is also how I like to do it.
Works for me, or plastic extension rings or use these.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (09-16-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

baseboard power outlets


how come they don't have these mud rings for single gang handy boxes? i already have a couple installed and it will be PIA to get them out and replace them with 1900 boxes
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,142
Rewards Points: 2,076
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
how come they don't have these mud rings for single gang handy boxes? i already have a couple installed and it will be PIA to get them out and replace them with 1900 boxes
Plan accordingly my friend.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (09-15-2012), Code05 (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

baseboard power outlets


Use these then.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Use these then.
i think there was a problem with your attachment. at least i couldn't see it

nvrmnd -- can see now. sorry

can you post a link to amazon ? thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,731
Rewards Points: 1,068
Default

baseboard power outlets


Lot of good ideas from professionals. Nice
__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

baseboard power outlets


hey Code05, can you please post a link where i can buy these mud rings you attached a picture of?

the logo on the pic looks like Amazon but i couldn't find it there.

thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,142
Rewards Points: 2,076
Default

baseboard power outlets


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
hey Code05, can you please post a link where i can buy these mud rings you attached a picture of?

the logo on the pic looks like Amazon but i couldn't find it there.

thanks
Home depot carries them.

Arlington box extensions... you can get them by other manufactures as well.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (09-15-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No power in all three bathroom outlets hpdad Electrical 23 03-24-2012 01:51 PM
Grounding outlets... bigdaddyII Electrical 12 08-28-2011 03:22 PM
Baseboard Heater / Power Cord Problem channingg General DIY Discussions 8 10-02-2009 12:35 AM
Electrical - Outlets with no power jogan Electrical 5 05-05-2009 03:06 PM
Power to outlets but not enough? batesrt Electrical 5 02-04-2008 10:12 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.