Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Baseboard heaters on one thermostat

Hi all....

I am having a little bit of heat issue (which will really become BIG issue once the weather turns colder....)

I have a situation where 3 baseboard heaters are connected to one thermostat (what order they are connected is anyones guess). In doing a kitchen renovation, one of the baseboard heaters had to be removed (in order to locate a sink under the window).

At the location of the "removed" heater, there are 2 black wires, 2 red wires, and 2 copper wires. Trying to wire them together so I have thermostatically controlled heat is becoming an issue.

I bought a galvanized covered box thing to house all the loose wire ends. When I connect the red to red, the black to black, and ground the 2 copper wires, I get NO heat.

When I connect a red to a black, and another red to a black, and ground the 2 coppers I do get heat, but it isn't controlled by the thermostat and doesn't shut off.

When I reverse the red/black connections, keeping the 2 coppers grounded to the box, I blow the breaker.

What does a person have to do to get heat controlled by the thermostat?? I'm guessing one of he copper wires holds the secret, but I don't know what to do with it?!?

Thanks in advance for your help.

shadesofblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Did the thermostat control all three heaters?
Does the thermostat have an OFF position?
Where is the thermostat mounted - on the wall or in one of the heaters?

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,192

I am guessing you are in Canada but your location does not say so.

Is the T-stat a single pole or double pole? Are the heaters 120 or 240 volt?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Yes, the one thermostat controlled all 3 heaters. It does have an "off" position, and is located on an interior wall a fair distance away from the heaters.

I am in Canada, and Jim, regarding ----> the T-stat a single pole or double pole? Are the heaters 120 or 240 volt --- how would I tell?? lol
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,192

Check the breaker. A double wide breaker would be 240 volt, one half that size would be 120 volt.

You might need to pull the t-stat out of its box to see if 2 or 4 wires connect to it.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

You need to figure out which wire is which.

How are the loose wires grouped (which cable does each come from)?

The power feed cable will probably have one red wire and one black wire. Both should test 120 volts to ground (240 volt circuit) or they should test 240 volts one to the other. For a 120 volt circuit one wire has to be white. Black to white will be 120 volts, black to ground should be 120 volts, and white to ground should be 0 volts.

The cable continuing to the next heater will be the same, with red and black wires or with white and black wires. No voltage should be measured between any two of the wires while this cable is not connected yet.

To keep things simple, match the colors. At least this is how it should work.

Meanwhile a thermostat may well have a different color scheme; two red wires to attach to the red and black of the power feed and two black wires to attach to the red and black of the continuation feed. Check the instructions for the thermostat to be sure.

Be sure that the three (or two) heaters to be controlled by the same thermostat have total wattage that does not exceed the thermostat wattage (maximum).

The (bare) copper wires are to be connected to each other and (using a short piece of bare wire if needed) connected to the box if that is metal. Not to any other wire or terminal or switch except where a green screw is provided.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-20-2011 at 08:00 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

what color are the wires from the breaker 208V single phase meter set to AC 115V-120V each to the copper wire to test 208V read both and to control the heat all you need to do is break either insulated connection if you only have a pair of wires from all three plus the raw copper ground in the box they must be in series so when the stat satisfies it opens one HOT side of the breaker feed
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is something fishy on this one however before you do anything on the heater part first thing first is look at the breaker and you will have to remove the cover and see excatally what colour conductor it hook up to that breaker it used on the heaters.

Once you verify which colours it is. I just hope someone did not use one of the red or black as netural if that is the case it will become > that is dangerous that need to take care of it first then go to the thermosat next and verify the connection and by the way the single pole thermosat will have no off postion while double pole thermosat will have off postion marked on it.

I don't run into very many single pole thermosat have postive shut off postion it more common on double pole than single pole verison.

Once that sorted out then you can deal with heater last black to black and red to red and you should be good to go { they will be wired in parallel never in series }

If more question you can holler here and also if you can post the photo it will really help a bit as well.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #9

First of all, thank you all for your imput but I'm completely confused.

Biggest problem is... this heating situation I have is at my cabin, and I'm trying to trouble shoot it from home, as I have no internet connection there. Makes it really difficult to "go run and check" when I get a question or a response!

Its entirely possible there is no "off" on the thermostat, maybe its just a "0 degree" setting, but I can't look till next weekend when I get there!

I don't have a voltage tester, have never taken a breaker off a panel to see what is below it... I'm thinking maybe I best call an electrician!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

I see your problem Getting internet help without the internet doesn't work. Good luck and stop in again and let us know the outcome
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #11

Smile

Had an electrician in.... he replaced my thermostat and rewired (whatever he needed to rewire). He also said there was a short in one of the baseboards in the string of three.

Hope that'll make my outrageous winter electricity drop a notch!

Total cost $106.00... money well spent!