Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard heater under window

For off-peak heating reasons my house was setup with storage heaters not electric baseboard heat in the upstairs living room or the down stairs family room. I am planning on removing the storage heater that is upstairs and putting in a hydronic electric baseboard 240v heater. I read it is best to place the baseboard under the window so that is what I plan to do. The problem I have is that there is a outlet in the wall almost exactly in the middle of the 6' wide set of windows. I read that you are not supposed to place electric baseboards under electrical outlets and this brings me to my point/question. Is it not safe or against code to put in a baseboard under an electical outlet?? Also how much difference would it make to not place the baseboard under the windows and put it on a different wall?
Just for some background info: this is a 1900sq foot bi-level house about 23 yrs old. Original windows which are not very good and we are located in North Dakota so very harsh winters.

Sorry for long post, thanks in advance for any help or advise.
Jason

jhubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Baseboard heater under window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubert View Post
....I read that you are not supposed to place electric baseboards under electrical outlets and this brings me to my point/question. Is it not safe or against code to put in a baseboard under an electical outlet??....
The Code has no direct restrictions on the placing of baseboard heaters under electrical outlets. It is more like a backdoor approach.

The problem many encounter is that section 110.3(B) states:
Quote:
Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
What you have to do here is actually read the manufacturer's instructions on the installation of the proposed heating units. I believe that certain electric hydronic heating units do not have such restrictions on mounting below electric outlets.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote