Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Baseboard Heater Size Advice

I have two 1500 watt baseboard heaters in a 13 x 11 foot addition on the back of my house. The original house itself is heated with a forced air oil furnace and the furnace does supply some warm air to the addition from the interior wall. The baseboard heaters are installed under the windows on the exterior walls to provide supplemental heat. I am currently renovating the addition and am thinking about downsizing the baseboard heaters to either two 750 watt units or two 1000 watt units. I think the two 1500 watt units are overkill. I am looking for advice on this. If I downsize the baseboard heaters can I expect to save some of the cost of operating the two 1500 watt units? Would two 750 watt units be enough?

A couple of things about my addition: it has three windows, a sliding glass patio door, and a cold floor. The walls and floor are properly insulated. I definitely need the supplemental heat from the baseboard heaters, but not until daytime high temperatures are below freezing. Until then the warm air from the furnace is enough.

nightheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:08 AM   #2

I always use 10 watts /sq .ft. Turn one off.

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #3

What type of flooring are you thinking of?Have you considered in-floor electric heat?
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
What type of flooring are you thinking of?Have you considered in-floor electric heat?
The floor is ceramic, and as much as I would love to have in-floor, heating the ceramic floor is going to have to remain as-is (I may overlay it with laminate, though). The rough-in for the baseboard heaters is already done for the two heaters. It is just a matter of what capacity I get.

I know about the 10 watt/sq foot guideline, but I wondered, since this room has lots of windows/glass, a cold floor, and some heat from the furnace, if my room might be an exception to that rule.
nightheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightheron View Post
I am currently renovating the addition and am thinking about downsizing the baseboard heaters to either two 750 watt units or two 1000 watt units. I think the two 1500 watt units are overkill. I am looking for advice on this. If I downsize the baseboard heaters can I expect to save some of the cost of operating the two 1500 watt units? Would two 750 watt units be enough?
I would assume that the room temperature is controlled by a thermostat of some sort so removing or downsizing the existing heat source would only affect how long the remaining heater(s) would run to meet the thermostat setting. You could end up with the baseboard unit on all the time. I don't believe your plan will save you much if any $$...
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote