Baseboard Heater Not Turning On - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Baseboard Heater not turning on

Hi, I'm installing a couple of linear convector heaters (Dimplex 750W 240v). I have two 120v lines, one which is connected to a power outlet, and the other one from another convector heater (as far as I've been able to evaluate, this second line is not connected to a thermostat).

I'm extending these lines and plugging them to the heaters as the instructions specify (including the ground cables). I've tested all the lines with an amperemeter and each one of them lights up with 120v; however, the heaters do not light up, even when I am not breaking any of the lines with a thermostat.

If I replace one of the lines with an N, I get the heater on using only 120. But when having the two it doesnt. Any ideas on what might be happening?

Advertisement

moriak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriak View Post
Hi, I'm installing a couple of linear convector heaters (Dimplex 750W 240v). I have two 120v lines, one which is connected to a power outlet, and the other one from another convector heater (as far as I've been able to evaluate, this second line is not connected to a thermostat).

What colour the conductor you did see in there ?? that will make the differnce on it runs.

I'm extending these lines and plugging them to the heaters as the instructions specify (including the ground cables). I've tested all the lines with an amperemeter and each one of them lights up with 120v; however, the heaters do not light up, even when I am not breaking any of the lines with a thermostat.

If I replace one of the lines with an N, I get the heater on using only 120. But when having the two it doesnt. Any ideas on what might be happening?
If you are using one receptale for 120 volts and you will not able get full 240 volts if you do not have full 4 conductors in there that is the key issue and second thing normally all the 240 volts heaters I ran into in stateside normally are wired seperated from conventail 120 volt circuit so take a peek at your breaker panel to see if that is hooked up properly.

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Are you getting 240 across both legs where you're wiring them in?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

What's up frenchy? Long time no talk to. How's the electrical world treating you?

Roadhouse.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
What's up frenchy? Long time no talk to. How's the electrical world treating you?

Roadhouse.
Yeah have not see ya for a while but been very busy over here ( in France ) there were few days were nutty with working overtime.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Works slow down here but getting by. I'll post up on the electrical site soon.
frenchelectrican (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Are you getting 240 across both legs where you're wiring them in?
How do I check for this?

What colour the conductor you did see in there ?? that will make the differnce on it runs.

One line is red, the other one is black. Checking in the box, they come from separate lines.

Thanks for the quick reply !
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriak View Post
How do I check for this?

One line is red, the other one is black. Checking in the box, they come from separate lines.

Thanks for the quick reply !
Ok did you look at the breaker box to see if you have double pole breaker in there ??

It should be in there.

What else is on that circuit beside the receptale you did work on?

I think it was used to be oringally 240 volt circuit and someone coverted to 120 volts but to get switched back to 240 volts will be little more tricky so you will have two choices either ditch that 120 volt receptale and reconferated the circuit to full 240 volts otherwise run the heater on new circuit so that is two way you can do it.

I will not use the receptale with the heater circuit it can get funky with it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

From one wire to the other when both hot you should see 240 volts.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,048

OT: You may not take the two hots needed for a 240 volt heater, appliance, etc. from two different places. (Both conductors must come from the same cable or conduit and be on the same 240 volt or 120/240 volt branch circuit.)

For a 120 volt light, appliance, etc. you may not use a neutral that did not accompany the hot (same cable or conduit, same branch circuit).

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-02-2012 at 06:59 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
OT: You may not take the two hots needed for a 240 volt heater, appliance, etc. from two different places. (Both conductors must come from the same cable or conduit and be on the same 240 volt or 120/240 volt branch circuit.)

For a 120 volt light, appliance, etc. you may not use a neutral that did not accompany the hot (same cable or conduit, same branch circuit).
Thanks AllanJ, that was exactly what was wrong. I made some bad assumptions taking two different lines from a different circuit.

Cheers!

Advertisement