Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #1

Share |

Baseboard Heater: Can I wire it to plug into an AC recepticle?

I've got a baseboard heater that I am not using in 1 room and I'd like to move it into another. However, instead of rewiring the room or purchasing a new space heater.....I thought I could just wire it to ac cord so that I can store it away in the fall, spring and summer.

I know that I will void the manufacture warranty, but I was wondering:
  • Is this safe idea? Guess who is unsure, my wife. Go figure.
  • What parts do I need and am I likely to find what I need at Home Depot or my local hardware store?
I've changed recepticles before and twisted speaker wire together. That is pretty much the extent of my electrical experience.

BTW- The outlet I want to plug into is 15 amp. Voltage.....not exactly sure. I would think 120, but my breaker isn't labled. Its only 1 switch, not a double switch (is that were 220 ie "2 20 amps" comes from?).

Here are the electrical details regarding my baseboard heater:

Model Number: 2F500-1A
30" Baseboard
Watts 120V: 500
Amps 120V: 4.17
Weight: 6 LBS

Thanks!

JBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Union Electrician

I know that this will seem like a drag but I think that voiding the warrenty on the heater wouldn't be prudent. Suppose something bad DOES happen and a fire starts. Insurance is not going to look kindly on a modified appliance that started it. Long story short, code says that if a device is not listed for a use, you can't use it. It's a small enough unit that a comparable one that IS listed wouldn't be hard to get. Hope that helps. Sorry for the bad news.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

if this heater is not used anymore and it is on delcated circuit then a good chance you can used for the A/C but it will only work if the thermosat is on the heater itself but with wall thermoast it can be doable but if you no longer want the heater you have to remove the thermast and wirenutted them and put in blank cover but you can not bury the box ditto with the splices in the wall.

some case there is a asscorey kit you can add on to the baseboard heater like this [ you may have to scroll down a little then you get the idea with it ]
http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1004

this will get you some idea with it but before you do it make sure if this heater is delcated circuit [ trust me you will understand why in a min ]

becaue the window shaker [ window mounted air conding] will useally take more than 7 amp of power easly

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
if this heater is not used anymore and it is on delcated circuit then a good chance you can used for the A/C but it will only work if the thermosat is on the heater itself but with wall thermoast it can be doable but if you no longer want the heater you have to remove the thermast and wirenutted them and put in blank cover but you can not bury the box ditto with the splices in the wall.

some case there is a asscorey kit you can add on to the baseboard heater like this [ you may have to scroll down a little then you get the idea with it ]
http://www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1004

this will get you some idea with it but before you do it make sure if this heater is delcated circuit [ trust me you will understand why in a min ]

becaue the window shaker [ window mounted air conding] will useally take more than 7 amp of power easly

Merci, Marc
Does a off-high constitute as a thermostat? Seems like more of a setting to me, but it was listed as an accessory item (BTF2A) on the page you linked. My baseboard heater has this on it:

http://www.cadetco.com/support/products/x_large/1004c.jpg

Secondly, I missed why it is important to have a dedicated circuit. If it is only drawing 4.17 amps....why can't it share a circuit with a hallway light and an outlet using a lamp/cd player?

Thanks again,

JBiz
JBiz is offline   Reply With Quote