Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #1

Share |

base board heaters

I am installing new electric base board heaters to existing wiring when I hook up the heater and adjust the thernostat nothing happens. I took the thermostat off the wall mount and tested all the wire connections with a two wire tester and it seems there is no power to the thermostat. Could someone please advise me.
tanner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

base board heaters

Try switching on the breaker.

Are you attempting to connect new heaters to old abandoned wiring?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #3

base board heaters

yes the breakers are on and I dint think the wires are abandoned
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #4

base board heaters

breakers are on I dont think wires are abandoned
Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #5

base board heaters

What voltage were the old heaters?

What voltage are the new heaters?

Are you using a single pole or double pole thermostat?

Use a multimeter to measure the voltage.

Then is there just one breaker to this circuit? Or is it a double breaker with a "tie bar" handle?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #6

base board heaters

both old and new are 240 volts on a double pole thermostat, double breaker. every time I try to turn on the new thermostst the breaker blows
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #7

base board heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner01 View Post
I am installing new electric base board heaters to existing wiring when I hook up the heater and adjust the thernostat nothing happens. I took the thermostat off the wall mount and tested all the wire connections with a two wire tester and it seems there is no power to the thermostat. Could someone please advise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner01 View Post
both old and new are 240 volts on a double pole thermostat, double breaker. every time I try to turn on the new thermostst the breaker blows
First you said there was no voltage/ power at the thermostat and now you have a breaker tripping. Two different problems. Assuming the real problem is a breaker tripping:
1. Turn off breaker,unhook all stats,check for a nicked hot wire touching ground wire or case,turn on breaker, and check for proper line to line voltage , 240 volts.
2.Turn off breaker ,reconnect stats making sure you have line(incoming power feed/wires) and load ( cable/wire) connected to heater.
3. Unhook heater,check for a nicked hot wire touching ground wire or case,turn on breaker, and check for proper line to line voltage , 240 volts.
4. Reconnect heater and try to turn on breaker again. If it trips, stop , and report back.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #8

base board heaters

Thanks for your reply you seem to make the most sense. I restored power as there was a disconnected wire at the breaker. I am not sure what "stats" are but I have 2 thermostates one on each side if the wall for different baseboards.(could they be connected by a jumper wire) as each side has 3 blacks and 3 whites. my directions say L1 and L2 which would both be black connect to a red wire at L2 and black at L1. Then out to the baseboard with T1 being black and T2 being being red. Is this right?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #9

base board heaters

Stats is short for thermostats. Okay, first, let me guess that you have 3 cables in your thermostat box, correct? 3 black wires and 3 white wires? I reread post, there are 3 of each. L1 and L2 are your line/incoming power wires and T1 and T2 are your load/ heater wires. Yes there is a feeder/ jumper wire to the next stat. It is common to put 2 or 3 small heaters on on circuit. The white wires are not neutrals, they are hot wires. They will be used in place of the red wires in your instructions. Do you know what wires are which? One pair is the incoming power, one pair is the jumper to the next stat/heater, and one pair goes to the heater? Did you label them when you disconnected the old stats? If not, no big deal, we can figure it out.

Last edited by Code05; 09-22-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Reread post and fixed reply
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

base board heaters

I will draw out a picture in morning, gotta go eat.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

base board heaters

Sounds like the thermostats are wired in parallel with the incoming circuit. That would blow the breakers as described.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #12

base board heaters

It sounds like you know exactly what I have. I did not label the wires but does this sound reasonable? The two blacks and two whites must be from the fuse box and the other single wires go to the heater. I will turn on the power and test the wires to see which has power
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #13

base board heaters

Here is a diagram, I used red for the white wire. I have to go. Will be back in 15 min.base board heaters-stat.jpg
Old 09-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #14

base board heaters

That looks good I will try that and let you know thank you for your help
Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #15

base board heaters

It worked perfectly thanks for the help