Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Barn wireing and conduit question????

As I'm pondering the needs for my barn, I have a code question or a general safety question. I plan on running PVC conduit through out the barn for all my power needs. Is it legal and safe to pull single wires for the power instead of using Romex? I/E 1 hot wire, 1 neutral wire and a ground wire as separate wires? Any help would be greatly appreciated gentleman.

houstonbrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,048

Certainly it's ok to pull individual wires in conduit. In fact that is what is preferred. Romex was never intended to be pulled through conduit systems.

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #3

Thanks Stubbie. That's good info and good news. That's what I was hoping to hear. Single strand is so much cheaper than romex. Have you any experience with the AFCI (arc fault circuit inter.) I know their a bit expensive, but so far I have $18,678 into the barn. So a little extra for some security is worth it, IF these things actually are worth the money.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Afci is a hot issue and IMO yet to be proven as a 'fire' saver. That said the fellows that write our NEC code book have expanded the required use of afci protection. My personal opinion is save your money use gfci where required and wait for school to get over as for the afci's.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #5

Yea, I guess if they prove that they are what they say they are then I can easily upgrade. Excellent, thanks again.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Why AFCI in a barn to begin with? I'm assuming that the kids haven't been sent there??!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #7

Well, there's lots of combustible stuff in a barn. So if there's any arcing, it won't take long for it to be reduced to a charcoal pit. and from what I've read about these things they will trip as quick as a GFCI.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonbrama View Post
Well, there's lots of combustible stuff in a barn. So if there's any arcing, it won't take long for it to be reduced to a charcoal pit. and from what I've read about these things they will trip as quick as a GFCI.
Not quite as quickly as a GFCI however they are designed to trip on an arc "signature." I understand your question as well as your concern. Listen to the Stub-master. I agree whole-heartedly with his rec. Then again, it all boils down to what you are comfortable with! Take care!

Jimmy
Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

When I review the nfpa records I do not see any appreciable statistics that lend me to think that homes protected by afci burn down less frequently than than those that do not have afci.

If one remembers when afci's first came out they would not detect a series arc fault and frequent nuisance tripping was common. Now a combination type afci is required on bedrooom branch circuits. This type of afci detects series arcs, parallel arcs and ground fault arcs. So if you use afci use combination type as series arcing is frequently found to cause fires. In a nutshell I do not think the technology is well proven at this point in time.