Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #1

Share |

Bare grounding pigtails?

I'm daisy chaining quad outlets in metal boxes. Do the lengths from the wirenut to each outlet and ground screw need to be stripped bare or can I keep the insulation on them? Is this always the case, or are there sometimes where bare/insulated is required?

And related, there will be 5 wires into the grounding wirenut,is there any way around this, I don't like the idea of having so many wires on one wirenut. I do have the proper size for it. Is there any way to help this stay secure other than just wrapping with electrical tape?

smata67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Bare grounding pigtails?

The ground wire can be insulated as long as it is green. A properly installed wire nut does not need to be taped.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
E2 Electrician

Bare grounding pigtails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smata67 View Post
I'm daisy chaining quad outlets in metal boxes. Do the lengths from the wirenut to each outlet and ground screw need to be stripped bare or can I keep the insulation on them? Is this always the case, or are there sometimes where bare/insulated is required?

And related, there will be 5 wires into the grounding wirenut,is there any way around this, I don't like the idea of having so many wires on one wirenut. I do have the proper size for it. Is there any way to help this stay secure other than just wrapping with electrical tape?

You could use ONE set of longer pigtails and hit both devices, instead of each device having its own pigtail.... and please don't tape wire nuts on, it means you either didn't install them properly or don't have the correct size wire nut.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (05-27-2012), oh'mike (05-27-2012)