Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

ballast

i have an old philips mark 3 r-2e75-s-3-tp 120v t12 that has black and white wire on one side and 1 red and 1 white wire on the other. I would like to change this out w/ a t8 ballast, what t8 ballast should I use? This is suppose to run 2 lights, can you also support in wiring diagram ? thank you -Scott phx

cdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbob View Post
i have an old philips mark 3 r-2e75-s-3-tp 120v t12 that has black and white wire on one side and 1 red and 1 white wire on the other. I would like to change this out w/ a t8 ballast, what t8 ballast should I use? This is suppose to run 2 lights, can you also support in wiring diagram ? thank you -Scott phx
Isn't there a wiring diagram on the ballast? Ballasts are made for specific purposes.....what lamp does this ballast energize? No starter? It's a single lamp fixture I assume, correct?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Isn't there a wiring diagram on the ballast? Ballasts are made for specific purposes.....what lamp does this ballast energize? No starter? It's a single lamp fixture I assume, correct?
It is not single lamp T12 verison at all due the OP provided the manufacter number and as soon I read the third number I knew this is a two lamp verison Those slimline have very oddball connection and they are only single leads to the tombstone however they must have current inturpeting tombstone this is a mantory item.

When go to T-8 verison of slimline it will still stay pretty much the same fashion ( I will have to double check the wiring diagram to confirm this due there is 4 differnt verison of conneciton on the slimline electrique verison )

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

ballast

Not so oddball if you are used to commercial/industrial fluorescent light installations. These are instant-start ballasts designed to fire the lamps once a day or fire them once and keep them on until something breaks. They are very efficient wrt power use and are inexpensive, but chew up the lamp electrodes if they are switched a lot.

cdbob, allow me to suggest that if you have a lot of these, plan on changing out most or all of them now. YOu will get a lot better deal on ballasts if you buy them in case quantity (on ebay). (You might save your old tubes to use in a couple of fixtures in which you retained the old ballasts.)
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote