Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #1

Share |

backup system

I'm looking for suggestions on a backup system. I have a great opportunity now because I'm doing a "to the studs" remodel and have to completely rewire - knob & tube mixed with a lot of scarey stuff like outlets surface wired with lamp cord, lights with speaker wire, etc.
I would like to add a small grid tied solar system with a small battery backup, with the ability to disconnect some circuits from the grid so I could power them from solar in a grid down situation, but leave some things connected so I could tell when power was restored.
I was thinking of putting the things I wanted to power in a sub-panel. Open to any & all suggestions because I haven't done or purchased anything yet - I'm still tearing things apart. I've been very impressed with this forum as I've been lurking for a couple of weeks.
I am being code compliant, even though in the part of the backcountry I live in, a question of building permit brought the question: "Have a hammer? Nails? Get going!"
Thank you.
Joe

Cornhusker Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #2

backup system

I suggest you consider a Reliance transfer switch rather the a sub panel
http://www.reliancecontrols.com/

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

backup system

If you want to you could install one or two additional receptacles in each room fed by a circuit going to an "off grid only" panel or subpanel. But the regular receptacles by themselves must be adequate in number and spacing to meet code unless the off grid receptacles are live at all times.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

backup system

I really appreciate the prompt replies and great advice. I think i'll probably go with the transfer switch - it looks like it would do what I need (isolate circuits from power grid for safety for lineman), while also leaving the grid connected so I could tell when power was restored. I had mistakenly thought that transfer switches completely disconnected my service from the grid & then connected it to a different source. This looks like just what I'm trying to accomplish.
Thanks again.
Joe

located on the edge of the Frontier, always on the edge
Cornhusker Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #5

backup system

Some transfer switch do completely disconnect you from the grid. If you get one of the Reliance tranfer switches get one based on the nuber of circuits you want to be able to switch on and off rather than the KW rating. You don't have to have them all on at the same time.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote