Backfeed Through RV Circuit? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Ntwrk. Systems Engineer

Rewards Points: 10

Backfeed through RV Circuit?

I am in the process of installing a 6/3 50A circuit at my home so I can power my RV when it's sitting in the driveway. The RV also has a Onan 5500 LP generator.

My question is, can I do the reverse? When there is a power failure, can I disconnect the main at the panel and backfeed a couple of circuits (gas furnace w/radiators, and/or refrigerator) simply by starting the generator in the RV? Will this work?

Advertisement

5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,782

You will need a listed interlock or transfer switch to prevent feeding power onto the utility lines.

This could also create what is called a suicide cord with energized male blades on the cord.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jim Port; 07-30-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: safety
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

How many times are you going to post this. You would need a seperate hookup to go either way so there's no male cord caps energized. Plus you would need an interlock kit which you can't do on a two way run.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.

Last edited by andrew79; 07-30-2012 at 02:09 PM.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Ntwrk. Systems Engineer

Doesn't shutting off the Main accomplish this isolation? Isn't that the basis of the "interlock" they advertise on this site?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Master Electrician

No an interlock makes it so that your generator breaker and your main can never be on at the same time. Therefore its going to be tough to feed your rv from a breaker that can't be turned on. If you run a seperate feed to the rv, Then another run back to the house from the rv generator with an interlock between that breaker and the main you would might make it work although you run the risk of creating a loop from your rv to your house back through the rv feed to your rv generator.

You'll have to face facts. It shouldn't be done. This is the second time I've seen this posted. Your name leads me to believe its the fifth. You just going to keep doing it untill someone says its ok?
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Ntwrk. Systems Engineer

To Andrew79:

This is my first day on this forum and asked a simple question. I love how quickly you jump to conclusions.

Since you always seem to dispense some ridicule and sarcasm with your advice, does anyone actually listen to you? They probably hope that someone civil will also respond.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
To Andrew79:

This is my first day on this forum and asked a simple question. I love how quickly you jump to conclusions.

Since you always seem to dispense some ridicule and sarcasm with your advice, does anyone actually listen to you? They probably hope that someone civil will also respond.
I am the civil one. Be glad someone else didn't get to you first
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
I am in the process of installing a 6/3 50A circuit at my home so I can power my RV when it's sitting in the driveway. The RV also has a Onan 5500 LP generator.

My question is, can I do the reverse? When there is a power failure, can I disconnect the main at the panel and backfeed a couple of circuits (gas furnace w/radiators, and/or refrigerator) simply by starting the generator in the RV? Will this work?
No, you would need two separate installs. Run a 6/3 and a 10/3 out to the RV location.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
To Andrew79:

Well he was not jumping to conclusions, follow the link below to see what was posted two days ago. No one will know if you are the same person but what you are wanting to do could kill someone if not done right.
Bypassing transfer switch in RV to backfeed panel
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Since you always seem to dispense some ridicule and sarcasm with your advice, does anyone actually listen to you?
Funny how you know this when you only just joined today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Well he was not jumping to conclusions, follow the link below to see what was posted two days ago. No one will know if you are the same person but what you are wanting to do could kill someone if not done right.
Bypassing transfer switch in RV to backfeed panel
A simple IP check would find this out. Unless of course someone is hiding behind a proxy.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Ntwrk. Systems Engineer

Sorry, I never saw that post, but that's essentially my question - posted in a more "in your face" style. I 'll go read that whole thread before I post anything further. Thanks for posting that link to the topic.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #13

Just a heads up. That ones not much more polite <whistles>
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
No, you would need two separate installs. Run a 6/3 and a 10/3 out to the RV location.
i'm wondering what would be required at the panel in the house though, you have the interlock which kills the main power and turns on the gen which in turn feeds the rv through the 6/3 and back to the gen in the rv(assuming the rv also has a transfer switch) I get that you can just shut the breaker off but wouldn't that be detrimental to the system if you forgot to, like a dead short basically.

edit:nm it would work more like a double feed. both lines would have power on them.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,046

One set of wires cannot perform both of these functions:

1. Feed utility power to the RV (or other load) outside.
2. Feed generator power from outside to the panel.

Advertisement

Evstarr (08-02-2012), stickboy1375 (07-30-2012)

Tags
50a , generator , trailer