Backfeed Generator Through Subpanel In Garage? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Backfeed Generator Through Subpanel In Garage?

Ok here it goes. I did a bit of searching on this but couldn't find an answer to my exact situation. Here's what i'm looking to do.

Going to buy a Generac 7500E. I will then install a 240v oulet either inside my garage (detached) or on the back wall of my garage on the patio. I then want that 240v line to feed into my garage panel using a standard double pole breaker. I would then leave the main breaker on the garages sub panel in the ON position. So this would make the sub panel hot (so my garage door opener has power) as well as sending power back to the double pole breaker in my main box inside the home. Now on the main panel in the home I will install an interlock for saftey and then power my entire home. Is this an ok way to do it? Or should i technically have two runs from my garage to my house in order do this? Keeping the sub panel and the generator lines seperate? My goal is to be able to do this with one run. To save both time and material cost as well as save some room in my main breaker box.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

haha i just realized something. wont work cause of the interlock. I would lose power to my garage when the main in the house is on. Ok never mind. Looks like im running two sets of wires. Darn. Though it would work if i did not install an interlock. Im not sure on my cities rules on this and would have to do some research. I know i would be the only one touching this in my house and would be extra sure to turn off the main but ive heard of heafty fines for not installing an interlock and really would not want to be responsible for harming an electrical worker working on the poles. looks like i have some thinking to do

Advertisement

Last edited by Skuzzlebutt; 11-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

Why would you lose power to the garage when the main is on?

EDIT: Oh, because the breakers that feed the garage will have to be off. Got ya.

Last edited by mikegp; 11-12-2012 at 02:32 PM.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote