Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85
Share |

Back when I didn't know any better...

In the process of remodeling a bathroom at my parents house (now that the work on MY house is mostly done) and the remodel work required a complete re-wire (amongst other things). With the idea of roughing in all the eletrical so sheetrock could go up, I wired the ends of the spools of 14/2 and 12/2 to the switch box and outlet boxes leaving the wire still in the spool in the nearby furnace room where the two runs would be tied into power later.

Last night I finally got around to hooking the cables up to power in the furnace room and noticed some things that I did quite some time ago that now I am just shaking my head at and dreading the fix.

Mostly has to do with 14/2 being connected to 2 separate 20 amp circuits, 2 buried j-boxes in a ceiling (located near a can light), and some very thin electrical boxes (not sure on cu in) barely big enough for the switch in one location and an outlet in another location. The outlet is coming out completely, so no big deal there, the switch is being re-wired due to this wall was changed (re-built). The 14/2 needs an entirley new run to the main panel for another 15amp circuit; which will be approx a 75' run through the attic and into the garage.

The bathroom outlet is getting its own 20 amp circuit off a multi-wire cable, while the other 20 amp circuit feeds two other outlets for different areas of the basement. The bathroom lights and fan will tie into the old 15amp furnace circuit (notice I said OLD) which runs lights and light load outlets in the area of the bathroom.

Not a question or anything, just pointing out some of the things I did previously when I didn't know any better and now I am taking the time to fix it and do it right!

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Just cause someone HAS to say it... get those 20 Amp breakers off the 14/2.

I had the same problem - that's why I need to get extenders for my ceiling fan boxes - they're 1 - 3 inches too deep.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

No #14 gauge wire on a 20 amp. circuit breaker.

"The bathroom light and fan will tie into the old furnace circuit....

Is the house furnace own its own individual circuit?

In my opinion, I personal don't like to use 14 NM/romex.
I believe your better off with 12 NM/ROMEX. But I am stating my own
personal preference.

If the house can with #14 already installed, I not saying remove it.
But when adding additional circuits my choice would be to use #12 size wire.

Last edited by Ranger31; 09-10-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Ranger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

I ran a new 14/2 line for the furnace back in December when it was replaced and noticed there was a lot more than just the "furnace" on that circuit.

I already have planned to run an entirely new run of 14/2 from the main panel to accommodate another 15 amp circuit for some runs of 14/2 that I cannot change over to 12/2 (with out ripping the walls open).

Just a little history, one of the 14/2 runs in question runs an outlet strip in the family room and a quad-outlet in a bedroom on the other side of the wall, both areas have computers plugged into the same set of outlets. Originally these outlets were wired to the furnace circuit and we would constantly have issues with the power supplies going bad, flickering CRT monitors, etc every time the furnace came on. So that was the reason for moving that stuff off that circuit in the first place (and at the time I didn't know any better and put it on a 20 amp circuit). It also segregated the PC's from the same circuit the dehumidifier also plugs into (the old 15 amp furnace circuit) which is technically the only available 15 amp circuit in the basement (other than the actual new furnace circuit of course).

Everything will be fixed this weekend when I run the new 14/2 line for the computer equipment. This will keep the furnace circuit to just the furnace, and the old furnace circuit to the miscellaneous things in the basement including the bathroom lights/fan, and the dehumidifier.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #5

The computer equipment is the only thing that will be on the new circuit?

How much computer equipment do you have?

Why not run an extra line, say 12-2/ground with your 14-2/ground circuit
so that if you add any appliances that are big energy user you will have
that extra circuit to feed than.

3 hours at use, 15 amp. breaker will trip at 12 amps.

3 hours at use, 20 amp. breaker will trip at 16 amps.

Make sure there no A.C. window units running off any electrical
circuit that feeds to your your computer power receptacles.
Ranger31 is offline   Reply With Quote