Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Automotive wiring help needed.

Alright, need some automotive wiring assistance.

I have successfully done the "Evry mod" to my 2003 VW Jetta...

The mods purpose is to increase fuel flow at the flip of a switch, and if used wisely and set-up reasonably, this provides a very useful horsepower boost for passing and merging....
The mod consists bridging two wires between the fuel pump and ECU with a resistor which modify the signal read by the ECU and "fools" it into thinking it needs to provide more fuel.

That was all pretty easy, I actually made mine switchable between two variable resistors so I could have two different boost levels; a "mild" and "wild" of sorts. It works great....IF YOU REMEMBER TO TURN IT OFF

Trouble is if you have the switch on when you start the car, the ECU gets an incorrect base line fuel quantity reading and throws a bunch of codes that don't go away on their own....they need to be cleared by the dealer.

SO..... I need to create a circuit that allows me to use what I have while the car is running, but in such a way that when the car is turned off, the mod reverts to an open circuit, that needs to be manually turned on.

Any ideas???

Thanke

nathanschmoekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

I don't know anything about wiring a circuit, but it seems to me that you should be able to achieve what you're trying to do with some sort of solenoid.

Just make sure that you know what you're doing with this mod... The way it sounds, you're playing a bit with fire by tricking your car to run extremely rich. I don't know exactly how your ecu works, but it may not be increasing boost to match the increased amount of fuel.

Aside from the lesser risks of running rich, you also run the risk of washing extra fuel down through the cylinders and into your oil. When that happens, you could end up spinning a bearing - which will suck. Another big risk is that with the erratic a/f ratio, you could be spiking your boost - that's not good either.

What's the draw to doing something like this mod rather than getting a tune for the ECU? Tuning the ECU can safely maximize your power through the entire powerband rather than playing roulette with your motor.

BShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Yup... Taken to extremes this would definitely blow things up. But done reasonably it can be safely utilized.

My car stock looses speed on hills with the cruise on... Switch on low boost, holds great. If i try to tow a small trailer, its really hard not to stall it; with the boost on low, zero issues.

High boost i don't even make ack smoke, so i know I'm not pushing it at all compared to some guys. For me its about drivability, not hot rodding per-say.

ANYWAY back to the wiring, was thinking i needed some kind of an electric actuated type switch that needs power from a separate circuit in order to operate. I could power the switch from a source that shuts off with the key. When the power is on i may trigger the switch... When the key power is lost, the switch reverts to open... ???
Old 09-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

I don't advise you to modify your car in this manner, but if you must...

Relay "latching circuit"...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Latching relay is definitely the way to go. That will give you a pushbutton to activate the system, and it will automatically deactivate when the car is turned off. You can also include a second pushbutton (normally closed) in series with the relay coil as a deactivation button.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob
I don't advise you to modify your car in this manner, but if you must...

Relay "latching circuit"...
LATCHING CIRCUIT RELAY Thats headed in the right direction! Thanks
Sometimes just having the proper terminology is the biggest shortfall...

My situation however is such that i need to interrupt this connection while keeping it isolated.

This is not a powered point a to point b common ground wire run. They are monitor wires that are bridged to modify the reading of the electrical pulse they transmit. I cannot have them grounded to anything.... As a matter of fact without the resistors in the circuit it's a dead short connection!

Is there a relay that can close and hold an isolated connection?
Perhaps the one you show would still work? Does the far side need to be grounded? Or is it magnetically held closed?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanschmoekel View Post
LATCHING CIRCUIT RELAY Thats headed in the right direction! Thanks
Sometimes just having the proper terminology is the biggest shortfall...

My situation however is such that i need to interrupt this connection while keeping it isolated.

This is not a powered point a to point b common ground wire run. They are monitor wires that are bridged to modify the reading of the electrical pulse they transmit. I cannot have them grounded to anything.... As a matter of fact without the resistors in the circuit it's a dead short connection!

Is there a relay that can close and hold an isolated connection?
Perhaps the one you show would still work? Does the far side need to be grounded? Or is it magnetically held closed?
You need a double pole relay. Use one set of contacts for the latching circuit, and the other set for your signal connection.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote