Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

automatic transfer switch question

I'm installing an automatic transfer switch for a standby generator, and I have a couple of (more) questions.

1) Do I need to pull the individual ground wires (bare copper) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I believe this is unnecessary.

2) Do I need to pull the individual neutral wires (white) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I think this is necessary, but I can't seem to come up with a solid reason as to why.

I've attached a diagram from the transfer switch manual. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
automatic transfer switch question-transfer.jpg  

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
I'm installing an automatic transfer switch for a standby generator, and I have a couple of (more) questions.

1) Do I need to pull the individual ground wires (bare copper) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I believe this is unnecessary.

2) Do I need to pull the individual neutral wires (white) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I think this is necessary, but I can't seem to come up with a solid reason as to why.

1) Yes you do or how else do you plan on grounding the transfer switch?
1) From what it looks like your transfer switch is also a panel built into it. So if your going to run your legs over to the breakers on the transfer switch you might as well bring the neutrals over as well.

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

No. This is not necessary.

Quote:

Yes, this is necessary. The reason being that the neutral and hot conductors must be routed together.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
No. This is not necessary.

Yes, this is necessary. The reason being that the neutral and hot conductors must be routed together.

But the neutral bus in the transfer switch is connected to the neutral in the main panel. Or are you referring to code requirements? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
But the neutral bus in the transfer switch is connected to the neutral in the main panel. Or are you referring to code requirements? Thanks.
There is a code requirement (I'll find the reference later) that the neutral must be fed from the same panel as the hot conductor in order to keep the inductive heating effect to a minimum. It won't be huge for a single circuit, but it may be enough to notice. If your are only feeding a few circuits, it isn't that much work to find the neutrals and move them to the new panel.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
There is a code requirement (I'll find the reference later) that the neutral must be fed from the same panel as the hot conductor in order to keep the inductive heating effect to a minimum. It won't be huge for a single circuit, but it may be enough to notice. If your are only feeding a few circuits, it isn't that much work to find the neutrals and move them to the new panel.
OK, thanks for the info. In fact, I've already moved all of the neutrals---I was just curious about this point.