DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

automatic transfer switch question

30K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD 
#1 ·
I'm installing an automatic transfer switch for a standby generator, and I have a couple of (more) questions.

1) Do I need to pull the individual ground wires (bare copper) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I believe this is unnecessary.

2) Do I need to pull the individual neutral wires (white) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I think this is necessary, but I can't seem to come up with a solid reason as to why.

I've attached a diagram from the transfer switch manual. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm installing an automatic transfer switch for a standby generator, and I have a couple of (more) questions.

1) Do I need to pull the individual ground wires (bare copper) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I believe this is unnecessary.

2) Do I need to pull the individual neutral wires (white) from the main panel and attach them in the transfer switch panel? I think this is necessary, but I can't seem to come up with a solid reason as to why.

1) Yes you do or how else do you plan on grounding the transfer switch?
1) From what it looks like your transfer switch is also a panel built into it. So if your going to run your legs over to the breakers on the transfer switch you might as well bring the neutrals over as well.

#3 ·

No. This is not necessary.

Yes, this is necessary. The reason being that the neutral and hot conductors must be routed together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.