Auto Change Over/dimmer Help 240vac - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

auto change over/dimmer help 240vac

OK I am in the UK so we are talking 240v ac
now I am trying to get 2 water pumps on a pond to create alternating flow I have a timed switch over box that alternates from one pump to the other at adjustable intervals and this works fine electrically however the pumps keep breaking shafts , this is due to the sudden start and shut down of each pump . Now i was thinking if I wired in a suitably rated dimmer control ( one to each pump ) so that it would supply them with permanent low voltage therefore keeping the pumps running but at a substantially reduce flow rate . would this affect the switch box operation of the pumps . in my limited electrics knowledge i think it would work but any and all advice would be appreciated

Advertisement

daz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Pump Control with Variable Frequency Drives...
http://www.pump-zone.com/controls/in...cy-drives.html

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #3

Could you use valves? Let the pumps run and open/close solenoid valves to control flow. Depending on the effect you want, maybe you could just use one pump and two valves?

I really don't know anything about fountains, except once when a water pipe in the kitchen burst , but I've heard that they make very fast action valves if you want quick jets, etc.

Gary
garyoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #4

I did have a valve system set up previously but I was forever having to strip things down to unclog the valves which is why I am trying this way. The switch over is working brilliantly but the pumps cannot handle the sudden start up repeatedly . Oh well guess i know what I will be trying the week end .
daz4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Spin down water filters...
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

(Of course in the UK these will have some other name and pipe sizes I suppose?)

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote