Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #1

Share |

Auger or bore?

Hi;
I have been using mainly wood boring bits for holes from 1/2 to 3/4".
Would an auger bit be faster than the flat wood bore?

Thanks

FW

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Auger or bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw2007 View Post
Hi;
I have been using mainly wood boring bits for holes from 1/2 to 3/4".
Would an auger bit be faster than the flat wood bore?

Thanks

FW
I use the flat bits because they are cheap. I use a powerful drill to hog the holes out quickly. When the bit gets dull from hitting nails, out it goes.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #3

Auger or bore?

Unfortunately, all I have is an old Craftsman 3/8" hand held corded drill.
It works, but isn't powerful enough for tough jobs, so it takes me a very long time to finish such jobs.
I am just a DIY'er, not an electrician, so what work I do is bits and pieces.
It would be nice to have a "real" drill, but currently my budget cannot afford it.

I had been using a long-shaft 3/4" flat bore, but I dulled it when I hit brick while drilling up from a crawl space.
I like the long shaft bits rather than using an extension, because the set screws in the extension are always loosening up.
Yesterday, I ruined my old foot long 1/4" extension when I tried to tighten the set screw and the head stripped out. Now I have to drill it out to remove the bit that is stuck in the thing.

I also found that most of the newer wood boring bits (flat) will not fit my 1/4" extension due to the "knob" at the end of the shaft. As I am sure you know, these bits are intended for quick release chucks, that's why they have the extra nub at the end.
I should probably purchase a quick-release chuck adapter. I believe I can get one at HD for a few bucks.

FW
Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #4

Auger or bore?

I prefer auger bits. They last forever and are so much faster. No pushing needed as it pulls itself through the material. Only down side is that they are a bit longer than the spade bits and more expensive.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Auger or bore?

I have fallen in love with these bits.

If I remember, the set was about $25 so they are not expensive so if damaged beyond repair, not a big loss and they bore faster than any other bit I have ever used.

well, not sure the link is working so here is a pic:

Speedbor MAX Spade Bit Sets
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Auger or bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I have fallen in love with these bits.

If I remember, the set was about $25 so they are not expensive so if damaged beyond repair, not a big loss and they bore faster than any other bit I have ever used.

well, not sure the link is working so here is a pic:

Speedbor MAX Spade Bit Sets
Got this exact set recently from my father in-law. Gotta agree w/ the Napster, they are totally deluxe. I have found in general that Irwin's products are all pretty much the cat's a**.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #7

Auger or bore?

require less torque from your drill than flat, paddle-drill bits, so you should get more drill motor life with augers.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
Floor Sweeper

Auger or bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
auger bits require less torque from your drill than flat, paddle-drill bits, so you should get more drill motor life with augers.
I have to disagree with that statement. I have several larger auger bits, all above 3/4". Nothing but my powerful 10 amp 1/2" drill has enough power for them. I can bore up to 1-1/2" with a woodboring spade bit and a 3/8" electric drill.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #9

Auger or bore?

Assuming your 3/8" drill delivers less torque than your 1/2" due to gearing and motor size, these results puzzle me.

The drill motor owner's manual usually says something about the maximum drill bit dia. recommended, and I wonder if this contradicts their recommendations.

I haven't measured the current demanded by a drill using different bits, but one bit screws into the wood [like it's always cutting with the grain] and the other scrapes away the whole circle [across the grain].
Seems like this second option takes more work because more wood is pulverized, rather than a long, curly "chip" being created.

I guess the other factor is how deep/how fast does each drill bit go and that should depend on motor hp and the torque delivered.

???
Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
electrical contractor

Auger or bore?

I agree with junk collector, I can use my cordless drill in hi speed with the paddle bit. but have to get in low gear for the auger bits. I think this is because the augers feed screw is pulling the cutter in keeping up feed pressure where as you can vary the pressure on a paddle bit according to the woods hardness.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #11

Auger or bore?

Very interesting, and helpful. Thanks guys.
I'll take a look at my local HD on Monday.
I will need a bit with at least a 1 foot shaft though. This might require me to replace my old extension.

I would be willing to spend a bit more $$ if it will make the job easier. I have several holes to drill.

FW
Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Auger or bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire_twister View Post
I agree with junk collector, I can use my cordless drill in hi speed with the paddle bit. but have to get in low gear for the auger bits. I think this is because the augers feed screw is pulling the cutter in keeping up feed pressure where as you can vary the pressure on a paddle bit according to the woods hardness.
100% agree.
Auger bits are all about torque.
Spade bits are all about speed.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #13

Auger or bore?

Yet another perfectly good theory shot down in flames!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician

Auger or bore?

I wish you guys were all closer. I am starting a job Monday which would give everyone a good test for their favorite drills and bits. All the plaster and lath has been removed from a 140 year old house in town. It features full size oak studs and joists. And knob and tube throughout. I bought 4 new spade bits Friday to get me started. I bet one of those bits Nap showed us might work good in this application.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #15

Auger or bore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
. . .a good test for their favorite drills and bits. . .
Corded vs. cordless is another variable in this experiment. A wall outlet equals a battery with unlimited amp-hour capacity.