Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

Aube ti034-3w lightswitch wiring

I was hoping someone could tell me how to hook up the wires on an Aube TI034-3W light switch I just bought. This will control the lights outside my garage. There is only one switch to these lights, so I'm assuming this means it's a single-pole installation.

There are three black wires that come out of the Aube switch, labeled 1, 2, and C.

There are three wires coming out of the wall. Two black wires, stripped at the end, and one long wire with no insulation. This may be a "ground" wire if I've learned anything from my limited ceiling fan installation knowledge, but I don't know. Obviously I have little electrical knowledge.

I've already removed the existing switch. The ground (?) wire and two black wires were attached in appropriate-looking places, but nothing was labeled on the existing switch.

Can anyone tell me which wires should connect to which? The new switch's manual is below, as well as pictures of my wall. In the manual, it looks like wires 2 and C should be connected, but I have two black wires coming out of the wall that went into my old switch... does that mean one of them should be ignored?

TI034-3W manual:
http://www.aubetech.com/manuel/2/TI034.pdf

Picture 1: http://i44.tinypic.com/21n4d3l.jpg

Picture 2: http://i41.tinypic.com/2pydm4w.jpg

Picture 3: http://i40.tinypic.com/wguk8x.jpg

Picture 4: http://i42.tinypic.com/zxve2v.jpg

Local Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

Is that black wire on your wall with the tape a pigtail from a white wire? If it is, then according to the instructions the wire from the white goes to the wire on the switch labeled "1" and the black wire from the wall (the real black wire) goes to the wires on the switch labeled "2" and "C". Wait for other responses before you proceed. Make sure your breaker is off and if you don't know what a ground wire is you should be extremely carefull and consider having someone else do this. Thanks.

Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocolo View Post
Is that black wire on your wall with the tape a pigtail from a white wire? If it is, then according to the instructions the wire from the white goes to the wire on the switch labeled "1" and the black wire from the wall (the real black wire) goes to the wires on the switch labeled "2" and "C". Wait for other responses before you proceed. Make sure your breaker is off and if you don't know what a ground wire is you should be extremely carefull and consider having someone else do this. Thanks.
The black wire with the tape runs to one of the dirty red connectors. The ground wire runs to the other red connector. The second black wire runs to the top-left of the box, where it comes out of the corner in the light-blue part.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #4

The connectors are used to connect wires, that's not what the wires run to. What color wires are at the other end of the connectors?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Connect wires labeled "C" and "2" together to the black wire that comes from a wirenut of other black wires in your box.

Connect wire labeled "1" to the other lone black wire from your switch box.

Aube switch apparently does not require a grounding connection, so simply fold your bare wire back into the box without connection to your switch making sure it does not contact any other switch terminal.
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #6

That worked! Thank you both for your help!

The programming of the switch itself isn't working... when I reset the switch with a paper clip, the entire display is visible for a second, followed for another second by 0:00 and "MAN" and "OFF", but then the display goes blank and I can't do anything with it (display/buttons do nothing and the lights are stuck in on). I don't know if it's due to me screwing with the wiring on my own beforehand, or if it's a faulty switch. If I had screwed up the wiring and shorted something, would it be possible for the display to turn on for a couple seconds like that?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #7

Did you turn it on with a small screwdriver as stated in the instructions?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocolo View Post
Did you turn it on with a small screwdriver as stated in the instructions?
I did, and that part is working. When it's turned on, the lights are on, and when I turn it off with the screwdriver the lights turn off.

I sent an email to Aube's technical support email address, hopefully they have experience with this.