Attic Fan Thermostat Retrofit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Attic fan thermostat retrofit

Brand new user so please forgive if thread already exists. My house has an attic fan in the loft with a manual control on-off-speed on the main floor. Can I retrofit a thermostat to operate the fan? Hopefully mounting the thermostat in the loft or in the attic. I do not have any specs on the fan at this time as I have not entered the attic space where the fan is located. Thanks

Advertisement

Kevinmccollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

All the attic fans I've installed already have a thermostat switch as part of the unit. I can't understand why any attic fan would have a manual switch, requiring you to go into the attic to turn it on and off. Maybe someone installed the manual switch when the T-stat switch failed.

Whatever the case, you can buy a replacement stat switch and put in place of the manual switch. I Googled to find this one:

Advertisement

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

I cannot answer why the fan has a speed control switch rather than a thermostat. The original owner installed it I guess. The switch is actually in the downstairs hallway and not in the attic. It looks kind of like a dialing fan speed control bit different. After it cools down this fall I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Is this an attic vent fan? I don't understand the use of the word "loft" in conjunction with "attic". Consider that the power vent attic fan might be doing more harm than good. They often do.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,474

I am also confused by the "attic fan in the loft".
Does this fan pull air from inside the living space (loft), and discharge it into the attic ? If so, it is a whole house fan.

Or does the fan ventilate the attic space only, using outside air ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #6

Sorry for the confusion. Apparently I used the wrong term. What I have is a loft that overlooks the living room. So I have a 2 story ceiling in the living room and the loft upstairs. The fan is in the loft ceiling and pulls air from the whole house and exhausts it into the attic space. There are vents in the the attic in the gables as well as a ridge vent in the roof. The fan is nice in the cooler weather to bring cool fresh air into the house. The loft area and the high ceiling in the living room trap a lot of hot air in the summer. I was thinking that running the fan occasionally would remove some of that hot air. Maybe not a good idea though.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

That is a ventilation fan or a whole-house fan depending on how big it is. Running it to keep the house cool is a fine idea depending on your climate and conditions. (Dry climate with no AC running?)

"Attic fan" is usually used to describe a fan used to suck air out of the attic space and not influence the living space directly. I'd say it is a lazy way of saying "attic ventilation fan".

Advertisement

ionized is offline   Reply With Quote