Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |

Attic fan and skylights on same circuit ok?

Hi folks...

Looking for some advice.

I would like to wire three Velux electic opening skylights using a power feed that is shared with my thru-the-roof attic vent fan.

As far as I can tell, only the vent fan is on the circuit in question....and that is on a 20 amp cicuitbreaker.....the line goes through a standard switch so that fan can be turned on and off (along with its automatic thermostat/humidistat)..........

Does the attic fan NEED to be on its own circuit? I have already run a line from a junction box I installed in the circuit feeding the fan and have run line that is about 15 feet of 14-2 romex to another junction box I want to use for skylights.

The skylights (3 of them) come prewired with 20 feet of 14-2 (one of which I will need to replace so that it is 25 feet long)........and say nothing on them besides "must be wired to a 120v 60hz, 60 watt, continuous electrical feed branch circuit with 15amp breaker"

Can I change the breaker out to a 15amp and satisfy the fan and skylight requirements?

If I run all three skylghts and the attic fan on this one circuit, should I be ok? My theory is that the fan itself shouldnt use too much power aside maybe from startup (its a brand new unit) and the skylights shouldnt either....

Thanks for your advice folks.

shadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #2

Why is the attic fan on a 20A breaker? How many watts does the fan draw? Are you sure the fan is the only load on that circuit?

If your attic fan is a standard attic fan it doesn't draw much at all. If your skylights draw 60 watts a piece then you should be find putting the skylights and the fan on the same circuit. If you say it's a new attic fan then hopefully the instructions with the specs are somewhere around.

Super33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Just make sure you do change the breaker to a 15 since you're using 14 wire.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #4

Thanks....

I have had the power shut off to that circuit and can find NOTHING else on it....

No info on the new fan....the old one was only 1.9 amp and they appear to be about the same in size, etc. and I cant imagine the skylights draw much amperage.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadango View Post
I cant imagine the skylights draw much amperage.
You mentioned 60W each? That is 0.5A per @ 120V.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Just make sure you do change the breaker to a 15 since you're using 14 wire.
Definately! If you have 14 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit, you definately need to address it. 14 gauge is only allowed on a 15 amp circuit. A 20 am circuit requires 12 gauge wire.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #7

Okay, now you know you need a 15A breaker if you've got 14 gauge wire. I have a 30" belt driven industrial whole house fan I can't find any info on the wattage but will guess between 450-600 watts and the electrician tied it into the same circuit that runs my smoke detectors. If they can attach a 1/3rd hp 30" fan into another circuit, I wouldn't see why you couldn't do the same for a simple attic vent fan.

Last edited by Piedmont; 06-09-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Definately! If you have 14 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit, you definately need to address it. 14 gauge is only allowed on a 15 amp circuit. A 20 am circuit requires 12 gauge wire.
Understood.

It was a 20amp circuit that runs the fan.....I added the 14-2 line to a junction box....

So I will swap out the breaker for a 15 .

Thanks!