Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Fan Installation - Wiring to Power Source

Looking to install a 1600CFM gable mount attic fan with prewired thermostat. Specs are confusing because one sticker on the fan says 120V 60Hz 4.0A but then another sticker on the motor itself says 120V 60Hz 3.2A.

Either way, how do I determine if it's OK to simply splice into the receptacle box that is in the ceiling of the garage? (it only has the garage door opener plugged into it)

I know I can turn off the circuit breaker, undo the wires in the receptacle box and add the 12/2 wires that run to the fan's thermostat (like the picture above), then screw cap & tape the connections, button it back up, secure the wiring to the rafters, and turn the breaker back on. But how do I know if that's too much draw for that circuit?

Also, I'm still not sure about the legality of it. I'm confused about the need for a permit, or even having an electrician do the wiring entirely.

I'm essentially in Memphis, TN if that helps.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by 98SS; 07-24-2011 at 02:42 PM.
98SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,220

Unless the garage door opener is the only thing on the circuit you need to find out the other loads on the circuit and see if there is headroom for the additional load. Your existing circuit would also need to be grounded in order to extend it.

Some areas allow homeowners to do wiring in their houses, other areas require permits to be pulled by licensed electricians.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
you need to find out the other loads on the circuit and see if there is headroom for the additional load.
I can find out what else is on it. How do I determine if there is headroom?

Quote:
Some areas allow homeowners to do wiring in their houses, other areas require permits to be pulled by licensed electricians.
Yeah, I know that. I don't know what is allowed/required here.
I did find this ...
http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/index.aspx?nid=390

Which, in the Electrical section, the very first sentence under the requirements section makes me think I can't do this.
http://www.shelbycountytn.gov/index.aspx?NID=535

Last edited by 98SS; 07-24-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,220

It sounds like you need to hire this out.

As far as headroom, can you provide a list of what else was on the circuit?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

I called our Electrical Department and they said I can do it if I pass the Homeowner's Electrical Exam (free) and then pull the permit ($35). I figure that taking the exam can't hurt since it's free. At the end of it, I'd know for sure whether I want to do it or if I'll be forced to hire it out regardless of what I know.

Off the top of my head and not able to go home and check right now, I would assume that the other receptacle in the garage is on that circuit, but there is only one. (One in the wall, one in the ceiling for the garage door.) The one in the wall usually has a 12V cordless drill charging on it and sometimes I plug in my bench grinder, but that's not often at all.
I'll have to check this evening to see if any of the nearby rooms are also on that circuit.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
It sounds like you need to hire this out.
I'm going to get it quoted hoping the cost will motivate me to pass the test.

Quote:
As far as headroom, can you provide a list of what else was on the circuit?
After 30 minutes or more of flipping breakers and going around checking receptacles and lights, I'm pretty much 100% sure that the only thing on that breaker is the receptacle in the garage ceiling that the door opener is plugged into. Once I got that one disabled, every receptacle and light anywhere near the garage was still working. Even the lights in the garage ceiling and the one receptacle in the garage wall were all still working.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

I'm looking to install an attic fan with an automatic thermostate. I have a three prong electric outlet in my attic. Is there a way to wire the fan so that it can be plugged into the outlet?

thank you!

jmedawar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attic fan, circuit, permit, wiring