Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

attic fan install

Getting a powered roof vent installed and for the electric, I am debating using BX from a junction box from the pull of romex that will be pulled from the power panel to the attic, since I am going to have to secure it on to a 2x4 that will need to be placed in the attic anyways for the run.

Any opinions on whether to swap to bx or stick with romex for the whole run. Now I can come off of an existing lighting circuit for the bedrooms. It has two ceiling fans that run on low all of the time, and two other lighting fixtures. All of 13w cfl's, but rarely do we ever turn on the lights, and if we do it is about 2 min's.

So, anyone's opinion on what is easier, pull a new dedicated 15a for just the roof fan, or use the existing bedroom lighting circuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Electrician

attic fan install

The ones I’ve done before were run with romex. Usually you can get the wire run in a way that isn’t subject to physical damage. The 2 gable fans my house has (came with house) are powered from bedroom and garage light circuits.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

attic fan install

I vote for NM-B/romex and using existing circuit.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

attic fan install

That is what I was wanting to know guys. I have a single gang jb up there, from when I re-ran the bedroom circuits, but it is old school bx, that does not have the grounding strip in it. It has that 22awg wire running through it, that on most of the outlets was wrapped around the screw on the outside of the boxes in this house, when it was installed back when the house was built.

Now, I do have the kitchen light circuit that is grounded, and could come off the box for the light over the sink, since it uses a switch leg to power that light, vs using the bx circuit for the bedrooms. Only three lights on the kitchen circuit, all cfl's on that one also.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Electrician

attic fan install

Tapping off the kitchen lights sounds good. At least you know it's well grounded.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #6

attic fan install

Use kitchen light circuit.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

attic fan install

That is what I am thinking guys.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

attic fan install

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Getting a powered roof vent installed and for the electric, I am debating using BX from a junction box from the pull of romex that will be pulled from the power panel to the attic, since I am going to have to secure it on to a 2x4 that will need to be placed in the attic anyways for the run.

Any opinions on whether to swap to bx or stick with romex for the whole run. Now I can come off of an existing lighting circuit for the bedrooms. It has two ceiling fans that run on low all of the time, and two other lighting fixtures. All of 13w cfl's, but rarely do we ever turn on the lights, and if we do it is about 2 min's.

So, anyone's opinion on what is easier, pull a new dedicated 15a for just the roof fan, or use the existing bedroom lighting circuit.
Sounds like you are in over your head!!!!!

You need to call a qualified and licensed electrician!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

attic fan install

jbfan, doubtful, since I know what I am doing, just debating on how to run the electric on this. I have a empty slot in the panel that I could use, which would not be hard to pull, since we still have the wall open in the Kitchen, where we pulled the lighting electric, due to had to put in a two gang, where the old single was. It will not get power until next Spring, or later this Winter, since there will be no need for it, until next Summer.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #10

attic fan install

A general attic fan on an individual circuit is a waste of resources.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

attic fan install

I know that Derrik, but it gives me a way to pull a feed for the closet lighting in the bedrooms, and gives me a general outlet for up there, so I can plug in a drop light. I have a few ways to skin this cat, and like I stated before, I have at least six months to sit on it, before I have to get it running for the next heat wave.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Electrician

attic fan install

While you're running power up to the attic for the fan, add a light too, so you don't have to take a drop-light with you. Keyless and switch or a key-less pull chain at least.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

attic fan install

Usually it is a Flashlight Kyle, but the light up in the attic is one of those things, along with putting lights in the pantry and two bedroom closets. Too many things, and not enough time. I am getting a deal, my roofer who did our roof about four years ago, is doing the fan, plus I am getting two windows up there taken out, due to they are probably as old as the house. Chimney cap, fan, removal of the two windows is going to cost me about $650, but will be cheaper than having someone else do it.

I am dealing with the power later, just need to get this stuff done, which will be this weekend. My guy was the only one that jumped on it. Other guy I called, that did some work on my neighbor's house has not even called back, even though I talked to him about two days ago. Oh well, it is his loss, and my guy's win.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #14

attic fan install

True, you have options.

I for one would not hesitate to throw it all on the kitchen lighting circuit also.

3 kitchen lights
1 closet light
1 attic light
1 attic fan
1 GP receptacle
Old 10-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

attic fan install

Now the kicker Derrick, the two boxes that I could go to with it, the first is 14/3, with 14/2 to the sink light, the sink light has two runs of 14/2, with the second being the switch leg. Pull out of the double gang, which I am thinking of making a 3-gang, so that I can put a outlet on that side, when I put in the counter between the wall & the stove, that would make the switch box having two runs of 14/3 out, 14/2 in for light power, and if I go with the 3-gang, it would add a 12/2 for the outlet.

That leaves the switch box for the basement stairwell light & outdoor light on the opposite side, which I do have a box with a blank next to that double gang. I can pull the power feed from that double gang to feed the other box for the fan. A lot of options.

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-14-2011 at 10:08 AM.