Attic Exhaust Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Attic Exhaust Fan

Just have a quick question. I need to have a thermostat controlled fan installed in my attic due to lack of ventilation. Right now there are just 2 gable vents in a space of about 350 sq. Ft. My question is, does anyone have an approximate cost for this job? I'll need an electrician to run an outlet up there too.

Thanks for any help guys.
Jared

Advertisement

Jared2983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

Attic Exhaust Fan

Call a couple local contractors and get some estimates. This is a real easy job if the weather is cool enough. This is a good DIY project. But I don't work on cars, and you may feel the same way about electrical work. All is good.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

Attic Exhaust Fan

Thanks JV, I'll see what I can find. I plan on tackling it myself, just can't pull the receptacle.
Jared2983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

Attic Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared2983 View Post
Thanks JV, I'll see what I can find. I plan on tackling it myself, just can't pull the receptacle.
That may be the easiest part.
I shudder to the thought of cutting a hole in my roof.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Attic Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I shudder to the thought of cutting a hole in my roof.
Me too! He can use gable vent fans and not touch the roof. Thats what I did. I put one on each end. Simple to install. The fans come with pre-wired Thermostats too.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

Attic Exhaust Fan

Is there a lighting circuit already in the attic? You could tap off that to run power for your attic fan. One that exhaust ~1000 cfm pulls about 4 amps. Check your fan for its rating. You should not need a dedicated circuit.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

Attic Exhaust Fan

Not to Threadcap here but reading this thread turned on the "light bulb" for a problem I'm trying to solve.

I'm trying to add radiant floor heat in our bathroom but couldn't tie into any outlets because of the way they were wired in. One breaker is for lights/exhaust fans/ and all our master bedroom outlets. Second breaker is a GFCI outlet in the spare bathroom run into a regular outlet in the master bathroom.

Up in the attic about 12 feet away is our whole house fan. I installed this a few years ago and at the time worried about having to install the wiring for this. Well as luck would have it and a true surprise in this house, all the wiring was already run in the wall and in the attic...just had to wire it in.

Anyway I have a 4" Metal box up in the attic where it is wired into the house fan.

I think I can run the radiant heat power up to this and just connect to this circuit. I know it's on it's own separate breaker at the box.

Does anyone see any Issues with doing this? I will need to add a GFCI outlet inline to properly protect the radiant heat portion but this will definitely save the headache of trying to run a new line to the box..(which is a recessed breaker box in drywall).

Just to stay on topic...I did do what was suggested...tying into a light outlet in the attic to get power for the fan and has worked well for 3 years now.

Advertisement

moparmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote