Attaching A Electric Stove/fridge Combo Unit To Service Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

attaching a electric stove/fridge combo unit to service panel

hi,

i need to install a 2 burner electric stove/refridgerator for a friend of mine. it is 220/240vac, 4 wire config. my question is: how do i determine what size breaker to install in the service panel? the specs should be on the unit somewhere, correct? do i figure the amperage thats gonna be needed for both the stove burners, and what the fridge is gonna draw off 110vac, and add them together? please advise.

thank you,

bob

Advertisement

bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Electrician

I would look on the unit itself as well as looking the unit up online to try and find some documentation for it. I've never heard of a stove/fridge combo before.

Advertisement

VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #3

hi,

actually its a counter with a sink, two electric burners, and fridge. it was removed from a maintenance shop. according to the owner, the only electrical wiring comming from the unit, is four wires, that look to be 10ga wires, black, red, white, and green. this leads me to beleive that it is a 220/240vac, 30a, 4 wire config, that he wants to attach a pigtail to, and install a 220/240 plug on. im assuming the neutral wire is to pull 110/120vac for the fridge, since the unit has no lights or clock/timer. just want to be sure about the breaker size. i just want to know, when figuring the breaker size, how to figure in the fridge with the burners. just add the two, i would imagine?

bob
Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #4

hi,

ill try to find out the specs for the unit. if i cant, then i will figure the power consumption of the unit and size the breaker and wiring from there...
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo View Post
hi,

actually its a counter with a sink, two electric burners, and fridge. it was removed from a maintenance shop. according to the owner, the only electrical wiring comming from the unit, is four wires, that look to be 10ga wires, black, red, white, and green. this leads me to beleive that it is a 220/240vac, 30a, 4 wire config, that he wants to attach a pigtail to, and install a 220/240 plug on. im assuming the neutral wire is to pull 110/120vac for the fridge, since the unit has no lights or clock/timer. just want to be sure about the breaker size. i just want to know, when figuring the breaker size, how to figure in the fridge with the burners. just add the two, i would imagine?

bob
Why would you think its a 220/240 - 4 -wire config? That makes zero sense.
230 volt appliances use only three wires. H-H-G. 120/230 utilize a neutral, H-H-N-G. Doesn't that sound like what you have? You need a neutral for the fridge. So its a 120/230 volt circuit. But I bet its not a compliant built unit unless you can find documentation on it. You can make it work but how safe will it be? Since you do not know the difference between 230 and 120, I would say you are not qualified to make this decision.

This thing sounds like someone built it. It has no UL certificate. That why you cannot find a nameplate and I have never heard of anything like it. And I would be concerned as to the integrity of the unit.
Got a picture or two?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

You don't post what state you are in, but in Massachusetts where I live it is illegal to perform electrical work for others without an electrical license. You can do your own work, but NOT for others. I would think long and hard about taking on the liability of wiring a friend's devices without a license, if there is a problem you may be held responsible.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote