DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

attach male connector to romex?

15K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
i know its a bad idea, but if it was just a temporary lighting solution until I can get the wiring fully completed. it it would only be there for a few days.. I have been working alot of overtime so the only time I have to work on the house is in at night so I can use all the extra lighting I can get.. but can it safely be done for a couple days? definily not a long term thing..

#2 ·
I ran my pool pump with romex Temp while running the sub-panel
Temp setup was one summer & into the next spring
I've actually wired up an outlet & box loose as Temp power while running wire

Male connector as in a PLUG ?
Plugs on both ends are called suicide plugs

Or a female connect that you can plug a lite into ?

#3 ·
I have the light installed and the romex attached to it and the wire in the attic space, I want to attach a male end plug to it and plug it into a outlet in my attic space.

attach this:

to the end or the romex so I can just plug the lamp into the attic outlet and light up the room so I can actually get work done at night...

Like I said I dont see it being "safe" but as a temporary solution I dont see anything wrong with it.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes.
You may connect that plug to the loose Romex end intended to energize a subcircuit or circuit not yet energized and then plug that subcircuit into a receptacle that is energized.

(You may not attach a (male) plug to a cable connected to a portion of a circuit that is already energized via a different cable in that circuit.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.